Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
As I see the construction crews jackhammer out almost every platform edge in Waterloo, expose the rebar, and then re-pour, I'm wondering if this is either an on purpose construction technique, or a "never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it twice" scenario.

(10-11-2016, 01:34 PM)nms Wrote: As I see the construction crews jackhammer out almost every platform edge in Waterloo, expose the rebar, and then re-pour, I'm wondering if this is either an on purpose construction technique, or a "never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it twice" scenario.

As I understand, there was a mistake made when constructing the first platform bases in Waterloo, where some welds were missing that are necessary for proper grounding.  Those platforms have to be torn open and fixed.  It was caught only after pouring a number of platforms (all the ones in Waterloo or so).

Of course, since this is a P3, the citizens of the region are not on the hook for this mistake, AFAIK.
(10-11-2016, 01:34 PM)nms Wrote: As I see the construction crews jackhammer out almost every platform edge in Waterloo, expose the rebar, and then re-pour, I'm wondering if this is either an on purpose construction technique, or a "never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it twice" scenario.

I think it's a "Murphy's Law" scenario.
The first five platforms were poured without rebar grounding. So they now have to all have a long strip exposed, end-to-end, and each horizontal rebar element is welded to a common rebar element that runs the length of the platform.

This was in the project agreement and missed by GrandLinq until the 6th platform was ready to be poured.

No cost to any of us (the Region), since it's P3.

Fun:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt">@rideIONrt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/iBikeInKW">@iBikeInKW</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Grandlinq">@Grandlinq</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/citywaterloo">@citywaterloo</a> why are the workers drilling the concrete? Thanks.</p>&mdash; Jane Mitchell (@janemitchell) <a href="https://twitter.com/janemitchell/status/784147528090517505">October 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
Won't that just make a nice seam for water to get into, freeze, and then break the edge off the platform?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
No; they build a temporary form at the edge then pour more concrete in. No different than any other area where there are two pours that meet.

I suppose if they did a shitty job it would?
Plus I believe the platforms will be getting a further layer above the base concrete to hold up against the expected foot traffic.

Correct. The top surface you see on all the platforms is rough so that the final pour/treatment will adhere to it. There is also the tactile edge which will be installed over top of the corner.
(10-12-2016, 11:25 AM)Canard Wrote: Correct. The top surface you see on all the platforms is rough so that the final pour/treatment will adhere to it. There is also the tactile edge which will be installed over top of the corner.

is there any info on what the final treatment will be? what is it shown as in the renders?
I have the drawings but not sure if I can share them. I'll ask and get back to you.
(10-12-2016, 01:26 PM)Canard Wrote: I have the drawings but not sure if I can share them. I'll ask and get back to you.

do you also have landscape plans? what will the new streetscape in uptown be like? In particular, I'm curious about the street trees from William to Erb.
Yesterday they were hammering out the Borden/ Charles stop.  Is this for the same problem?

Also the new road closures list Duke@the rail tracks are closing for two weeks.  Are they adding a second track here?
Waterloo Public Square station was showing some progress today with rebar getting set up and insulation going in around some of the utilities.

Anchor wall frame at Allen:

How much do you think fixing each station platform would cost?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

To the Region? $0. Fixed price P3.

Also: the speed limit signs are getting a bit ridiculous. 12 km/h? Really?
Rick Mercer puts his own stamp on the Bombardier situation.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »