Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Had a few minutes between buses at Conestoga Mall this morning; got a look at things without all the workers in the way!

The D-shaped end box is looking excellent...

[Image: C3ovGmd.jpg]

[Image: xftqxrn.jpg]

...and it will serve as a last-resort backstop should a train (God forbid) come in too fast.

[Image: EMzVUrt.jpg]

The station area is gaining more buildings. There's a switching box along with the operators' rest facility...

[Image: M19mT22.jpg]

...which you must walk around to reach the steps/ramp. Hmm.

[Image: oM8lmVk.jpg]

Their rooflines also look a bit curious from platform level.

[Image: z0geMfu.jpg]

I really wanted to check out the crossover, too, but I didn't want to miss my bus. Next time, perhaps.

Wink 
If they're not finished before winter they can put a dome over it.   Idea
Kevin - the D-box at Conestoga is actually a planter!
We're in Denver right now, and the Light Rail system here has been great to get around. I must say, their stations are just a wee bit showy compared to ours! The 55 mph (90 km/h) speed limits outside of Downtown are pretty sweet, too.

They started building in 1994 and just never stopped. That's the way to do it! They have about 80 km of track on 6 lines, and are building another 200 km of track!
There have been some great articles about that system:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2...wth-213905
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arch...le/425583/
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
That station is showy all right! Wow.
A few photos from Charles this afternoon:

Some of the station hardware has arrived at the Kitchener Market station.

Only one weld missing at the Cameron Heights switchover, I believe.  No sign of preparing for embedding yet, though.

A wheel sensor? Does ION use wheel sensors at stations and induction sensors at intersections?

The wheel sensors are located just upstream of the track lubricators, to trigger the pump when to apply grease to the rail.
That makes sense, thanks!
Is anyone going to the parade today? I'm curious how they'll make out at King/Frederick, and if GrandLinq or the Region will have any Light-Rail/Construction-related floats!
(10-10-2016, 10:04 AM)Canard Wrote: Is anyone going to the parade today? I'm curious how they'll make out at King/Frederick, and if GrandLinq or the Region will have any Light-Rail/Construction-related floats!

Not at the parade, but I saw King/Frederick on Friday - well tamped fill that's quite driveable, with all the manholes etc leveled off. Some floats might have to go slow and be careful, but it should be okay.

As for the content of the parade, CTV airs an edited version at noon.
(07-04-2016, 10:57 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 10:20 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Anyone gonna point out we've hit #page300?

Thanks for doing it for us! Smile
  • First 100 pages: 12 months
  • Second 100 pages: 5.5 months
  • Third 100 pages: 4 months
At this rate, we may hit 1000 pages by the time the LRT is operational! Wink

Page 400!
  • Fourth 100 pages: 3 months
Amazingly the traffic on this thread still continues to grow.
...and we're just getting started! Once we know the first train is on its way, things are really going to ramp up!

How many pages will we be on when the first LRV reaches Galt?
(10-10-2016, 04:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 10:57 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Thanks for doing it for us! Smile
At this rate, we may hit 1000 pages by the time the LRT is operational! Wink

Page 400!
  • Fourth 100 pages: 3 months
Amazingly the traffic on this thread still continues to grow.

I feel like we should probably shut this one down.  It's kind of dead, no one uses it hah.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a ton about transit, so I don't always contribute a ton on this tread, but I read it ALL the time as it's such a great resource.  Thanks to everyone that is carrying this!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »