Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I think it fully depends on the surroundings - grass can make urban areas feel more welcoming, while the gray concrete can make unwelcoming areas feel more urban.

(09-29-2016, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 12:13 PM)urbd Wrote: Is it just me or is anyone else not pleased with the amount of new grass strips being added to the streetscape? I was expecting an extra wide sidewalk (or any hardscape really, i thought they would use the black concrete 'brick' thing they've used in other parts) close to King/Victoria, along Victoria... but that whole stretch is now lined with sod - odd choice for what is expected to be the densest urban hub in the Region.

I guess you can't please everyone, but - you're kidding, right?  Smile  I think it looks absolutely glorious and I welcome any and all green that can be added to the urban landscape.  Francis between King and Duke, and all of Borden look a kajillion times better than they used to.

I'm with Iain on this.  Although I would be even happier if they were to add some trees or shrubbery next year (or later).
(09-29-2016, 12:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote: I guess you can't please everyone, but - you're kidding, right?  Smile  I think it looks absolutely glorious and I welcome any and all green that can be added to the urban landscape.  Francis between King and Duke, and all of Borden look a kajillion times better than they used to.

I'm with Iain on this.  Although I would be even happier if they were to add some trees or shrubbery next year (or 
A shrubbery?!
I'm in favour of grass anywhere that it's not going to be trampled because they made the sidewalk too narrow or poorly aligned.
(09-29-2016, 01:38 PM)Markster Wrote: I'm in favour of grass anywhere that it's not going to be trampled because they made the sidewalk too narrow or poorly aligned.

There's an especially potent example of this near GRH, where the sidewalk does a rather large zig-zag to traverse a gradient.  I'm sure it's necessary for users with limited mobility or using mobility aids, and obviously outside a hospital this is of prime importance, but every single able bodied user will simply walk across the grass, so why not skip the grass and put in a step or two instead.
(09-29-2016, 12:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote: I guess you can't please everyone, but - you're kidding, right?  Smile  I think it looks absolutely glorious and I welcome any and all green that can be added to the urban landscape.  Francis between King and Duke, and all of Borden look a kajillion times better than they used to.

I'm with Iain on this.  Although I would be even happier if they were to add some trees or shrubbery next year (or later).

They've added trees to a few spots along the line! Along Duke between Water / Francis, Along Charles... also between Water and Francis. I can't rememberif anywhere else. Maybe down by Stirling?
Anyone been up to Northfield recently? With the street and ramps reopening tomorrow, curious to see how it looks!

Bilbao LRT does a good job with grass:

(09-29-2016, 01:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 12:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm with Iain on this.  Although I would be even happier if they were to add some trees or shrubbery next year (or later).

They've added trees to a few spots along the line! Along Duke between Water / Francis, Along Charles... also between Water and Francis. I can't rememberif anywhere else. Maybe down by Stirling?

That's great!  Will look out for those.
(09-28-2016, 04:24 PM)KevinL Wrote: According to a post on the Facebook group, forms are starting to go up for the platform at Mill station.

Not much there yet for the platform:

EB (?) track looks good though:

Embedded track only at the crossing:

Meanwhile, over on Ottawa ...

Rebar is laid for a long stretch, starting from Charles:

And rails have been delivered, waiting for placement:

(09-29-2016, 02:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Embedded track only at the crossing:

Slight correction - that actually ballasted track with deck plates, just like on be Waterloo Spur. The wider concrete ties are what the deck plates will sit on, for the ion track in the background. The track in the foreground is for freight and has wooden ties (but same idea - wider ties in the crossing area support the deck plates).
Thanks -- didn't realize that it's only deck plates! Consider me a little bit more educated, once again.

Trees have also gone in along Allen and along King near Allen.

The first pieces of track are being dragged on to rough position across William.

The tree cells were getting filled with top soil today in uptown.

With the exception of right in front of the RED it is almost a continuous sidewalk from Willis to Wellington on the east side of King; only a single panel or so missing per block.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-29-2016, 03:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Thanks -- didn't realize that it's only deck plates!  Consider me a little bit more educated, once again.

Big Grin No problem - but you got me thinking, I wonder what the curve off the Huron Spur onto Ottawa for the NB track is going to look like. It has to cross Mill, and the Functional Design plans have it all crossed out (i.e. - it's been changed since it was published).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »