Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Some images from about an hour ago.

I really like the look of all this grass right downtown. This is one of the more quaint looking intersections - the LRVs will look greta swinging through here.
[Image: xId9MRB.jpg]

[Image: MKsW8Ta.jpg]

Also looks like Canard's line was finally painted Smile

[Image: 8LCgI0l.jpg]

Noticed something strange along Francis - the cat poles are doubled up - some are on both sides of the road (1 and 3 in this picture). There's catenary strung between 4 and 3 as well, and a roll of it hanging off of 1. Why is this?

[Image: dW9uwqb.jpg]

Catenary is also strung up across King / Francis

[Image: Kkzzl1B.jpg]

Even without pavement, King / Victoria just looks really, really great in general. It's clean, it's organized, the lights are laid out nicely, the track looks great curving through here, and it's surrounded by tall buildings. Feels like the big city, now!

I HIGHLY recommend everyone come by here during golden hour (around 6:30pm) before it reopens. There's this amazing aura I got from being surrounded by tall buildings with setting sunlight being reflected of all of them, standing smack dab in the middle of huge change, yet with no traffic visible or even audible. Really, you should do it Big Grin

[Image: MwzWvxH.jpg]

Apologies for the terrible distortion on this one

[Image: uHamFaJ.jpg]

And what's this I spy?...

[Image: a84wBeh.jpg]
(09-20-2016, 07:22 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Also looks like Canard's line was finally painted Smile

Wow, awesome!

(09-20-2016, 07:22 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed something strange along Francis - the cat poles are doubled up - some are on both sides of the road (1 and 3 in this picture). There's catenary strung between 4 and 3 as well, and a roll of it hanging off of 1. Why is this?

It's a support wire (like a suspension bridge) to support the actual contact wire, which will be at right angles. Think about it - how else could you support the contact wire when it is floating so far away from either side of the roadway, in free space?
Quote:And what's this I spy?...

Ahh, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.  Wink
(09-20-2016, 07:26 PM)KevinL Wrote:
Quote:And what's this I spy?...

Ahh, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.  Wink

… is the headlamp of a fast-approaching train. ;-)
(09-20-2016, 05:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I  agree some of those pole placements along King in Uptown that we thought were temporary are turning out to be a permanent hazard in the middle the sidewalk.

There are also a number of access boxes along the route, like this one near KCI, that could have easily been shifted left or right to avoid being in the middle of a sidewalk:

Anybody want to bet the excuse would be “right of way” even though they’ve expropriated property left, right, and centre all over the city?
(09-20-2016, 07:34 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 05:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I  agree some of those pole placements along King in Uptown that we thought were temporary are turning out to be a permanent hazard in the middle the sidewalk.

There are also a number of access boxes along the route, like this one near KCI, that could have easily been shifted left or right to avoid being in the middle of a sidewalk:

Anybody want to bet the excuse would be “right of way” even though they’ve expropriated property left, right, and centre all over the city?

The ones I'm talking about aren't even right of way. Between the sidewalk and the road there is a 2 foot wide utility corridor, and yet the light pole is right in the middle of the sidewalk.

(09-20-2016, 06:39 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 05:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I didn't see any mention of the completion the King St work (in front of Conestoga Mall).  Could this also be complete?

Doubtful. I was up that way the other day and I don't remember any track being embedded along King, apart from the crossing points at Northfield and Conestogo.

King St lane reductions could finish, though, even if the concrete for the embedded track isn't yet poured.
1/2 - Tuesday, September 20, 2016

At Borden, trackwork continues on the curve onto the Huron Spur.

Erb/Caroline - our first look at what the special illuminated "No Turns" signs will look like, when a train is approaching.

Almost ready to re-open!

Platform rework (grounding rebar) at the Laurier/Waterloo Park station.

Platform rework (grounding rebar) at University of Waterloo.
2/2 - Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Vacant.

Opening in the next 30 minutes! Notice the Bike Box.

Small groups of folks were hanging around watching what was going on, eagerly waiting for it to reopen.
(09-20-2016, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 07:34 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Anybody want to bet the excuse would be “right of way” even though they’ve expropriated property left, right, and centre all over the city?

The ones I'm talking about aren't even right of way.  Between the sidewalk and the road there is a 2 foot wide utility corridor, and yet the light pole is right in the middle of the sidewalk.

Good point. I was thinking in terms of moving the other way, further from the road, and I don’t know where the (existing, easy to change via expropriation) property line is.
(09-20-2016, 08:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 07:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The ones I'm talking about aren't even right of way.  Between the sidewalk and the road there is a 2 foot wide utility corridor, and yet the light pole is right in the middle of the sidewalk.

Good point. I was thinking in terms of moving the other way, further from the road, and I don’t know where the (existing, easy to change via expropriation) property line is.

Or where the building is Tongue.  Yes, going the other way can present a problem, but in general the sidewalk should be as far towards the property line as is feasible, to keep pedestrians buffered from traffic.  There are however areas where property lines don't line up or there are grade issues making it possible, and preferable to put utilities on the other side of the sidewalk, that is true.
Erb and Caroline is open now. Drove through no more than an hour ago. Looks very different!

(09-20-2016, 05:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: There are also a number of access boxes along the route, like this one near KCI, that could have easily been shifted left or right to avoid being in the middle of a sidewalk:

That's terrible placement. It's a real shame to have something like that along a street with lots of foot traffic.
Yeah Canard, I would say that not only are the cross-intersection support wires at King and Francis for supporting the catenary through the curve, but everything is curved from as soon as the route veers left from Duke to Francis, until it's straightened out onto King; the extra poles might be to help with this heavily-curved section.

The stop line on Duke at Francis, how much you want to bet that this gets overrun more than the stop lines in all directions at King and Francis (I walk there 2-4 times a day and it's been bad), to the point of being a likely sideswipe situation and delay for northbound LRVs?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »