Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
A lot of people are going to have to discover that Francis is open.

(09-14-2016, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote: Where are you guys finding best access to take photos and get these updates?

During business hours — 51 Breithaupt, third floor washroom hallway:

There's also a view of the overpass from the west stairwell, but it's not very good unless you are willing to hold your camera (phone) out the window.
Uptown is humming with activity resulting in lots of visible progress:
-paving ongoing at king and Allen
-light fixture poles are now installed along king extending the antique looking black ones from the uptown core to at least John
-Kitchener glass installing the canopy at Ellis station
-Caroline and Erb getting graded and rolled in preparation for paving
-traffic signals now up at Caroline and erb too
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Seagram station canopy. They were finishing paving the intersection, my guess is that it will be open by tomorrow morning at the latest.
Concrete poured for the SB track along Victoria today, along with the sidewalks (out of frame).

1/4 - Thursday, September 15, 2016

King/Victoria.

King/Victoria.

Victoria/Charles.

King/Victoria.

Installing lights at Victoria/Charles.
2/4 - Thursday, September 15, 2016

Victoria/Charles overview.

Looking along Victoria, between Charles and King.

Canopy glass at Laurier/Waterloo Park.  It's all the details that get me - the gradient digital pattern on the glass made me grin from ear to ear.

Working on the Gauntlet Track asphalt at Seagram.  No custom deck plates - same as before, just asphalt.  

Lots of platform rework at University of Waterloo.

3/4 - Thursday, September 15, 2016

University of Waterloo station canopy structure and anchor wall are up.

Lost more terraforming going on for the entrance to R+T Park Station.

The final bit of concrete for the embedded track on Northfield is going in, at the interface between it and the ballasted track on the overpass.

Erb/Caroline.
4/4 - Thursday, September 15, 2016

Erb/Caroline.

Uptown Waterloo station - a very deep pit has been dug, here.  I wonder why?
(09-15-2016, 08:52 PM)Canard Wrote: 4/4 - Thursday, September 15, 2016

Erb/Caroline.

Uptown Waterloo station - a very deep pit has been dug, here.  I wonder why?

I speculate that the deep pit might be to deal with poor soil conditions. The pit is almost on top of where the creek ran before it was buried in a tunnel. So possibly they dug out muddy stuff that would be a poor base for the coming construction.

But that’s just my speculation. It could be anything.
This morning as I was passing by, they were paving the dedicated Caroline->Erb right-turn-lane and setting up the forms for the concrete pour of the SB embedded track in the intersection:

Out of frame to the NW, they dumped a pile of ballast on the SB track adjacent to the intersection.

Out of frame to the South, they were pouring an additional segment of the SB embedded track north of the Caroline/Father David Bauer Drive intersection. Workers were taping the boot to the rail, and sealing the top with the wide, black tape to keep the concrete out during the pour.

I expect nearly the whole thing to be poured by evening, with one lift of asphalt cooling in the zone NE of the tracks in Erb/Caroline. It's pretty exciting.
And the crossing at Seagram appears fully open!
I see in the latest ION traffic update that King and William will be closing around September 21. Should we expect Erb and Caroline to be open by then?

I would expect so.
That's likely why it is listed as "around" Sept 21. It will probably close the day after Erb opens.
They only have the small section of Erb left to pave and the little wedge between the nb and SB tracks. There is one little gap in the embedded SB track that needs another weld still.

As i mentioned the other day the antique looking lights of uptown were extended to John, but beyond that, south of John, they have installed the overhead lights with the LED fixtures.

Almost all the cat poles are now in between William and union or should be by end of day.

Lots of landscaping progress between Wellington and union along king.

The grh TPSS site seems nearly prepped for it to be installed.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »