Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I think some people feel that personally paying a property tax bill confers some kind of deeper status, despite that renters still pay that tax through their rent via their landlord. It is, of course, particularly pejorative when it comes to government spending and budgets - that it is somehow 'their' money that is being spent, and they should have some wider say on where it goes, democratic process be damned.

On a calmer note, Queen Station is really coming along - I won't be surprised if they do the main platform pour this weekend.

(09-02-2016, 08:46 AM)Chris Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 07:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Waterloo St. crossing?  I can't think of a train crossing in that area.

This one here.

https://goo.gl/maps/gAMAXgTe62m

Oh of course, derpedy derp.  I confused Waterloo St. with Water St.
(09-02-2016, 09:39 AM)KevinL Wrote: I think some people feel that personally paying a property tax bill confers some kind of deeper status, despite that renters still pay that tax through their rent via their landlord. It is, of course, particularly pejorative when it comes to government spending and budgets - that it is somehow 'their' money that is being spent, and they should have some wider say on where it goes, democratic process be damned.

On a calmer note, Queen Station is really coming along - I won't be surprised if they do the main platform pour this weekend.

Yup, some people do people feel that way.  They can go find a fiefdom to live in if they want.  The biggest irony is that my generation is often referred to as the entitlement generation.

Anyway, I can rant about this far too long.  I don't want to imply the person who wrote this necessarily feels that way, but I feel it's more of an implicit classism thing, but I do hate to see our language loosing progress away from equality.

I also saw the story made the record as well, in a fairly inaccurate article (in that it refers to the LRT big a billion dollar project).  The headline was also somewhat inflammatory, in that I hardly count one night of railway signal clanging as torture, and yes, I have had to listen to a railway clang all night before.  It is an unfortunate situation, and maybe the city should levy the standard noise violation fine against GrandLinq (really as a symbolic gesture), but most importantly, I hope they ensure it is only one night.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6836...isruption/

I can assume that the platforms which haven't been poured yet, have the rebar welded as needed?
I noticed yesterday that the Weber street overpass (In Waterloo, over the LRT line) has temporary construction style fencing strapped to the side walls of the bridge

Two things that must mean: More permanent fencing/barriers will be installed as is done on most electrified lines and that the system must be or will soon be electrified?
(09-02-2016, 11:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 09:39 AM)KevinL Wrote: I think some people feel that personally paying a property tax bill confers some kind of deeper status, despite that renters still pay that tax through their rent via their landlord. It is, of course, particularly pejorative when it comes to government spending and budgets - that it is somehow 'their' money that is being spent, and they should have some wider say on where it goes, democratic process be damned.

Yup, some people do people feel that way.  They can go find a fiefdom to live in if they want.  The biggest irony is that my generation is often referred to as the entitlement generation.

Anyway, I can rant about this far too long.  I don't want to imply the person who wrote this necessarily feels that way, but I feel it's more of an implicit classism thing, but I do hate to see our language loosing progress away from equality.

I also saw the story made the record as well, in a fairly inaccurate article (in that it refers to the LRT big a billion dollar project).  The headline was also somewhat inflammatory, in that I hardly count one night of railway signal clanging as torture, and yes, I have had to listen to a railway clang all night before.  It is an unfortunate situation, and maybe the city should levy the standard noise violation fine against GrandLinq (really as a symbolic gesture), but most importantly, I hope they ensure it is only one night.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6836...isruption/

I can assume that the platforms which haven't been poured yet, have the rebar welded as needed?

My partner lives in that exact building, and I was staying there that night, I can assure you the signal noise was not that loud. So, this basically is just another crap piece by Jeff Outhit.
Well, I can tell you that living in the Kaufman Lofts with the bells going off at Waterloo Street, probably close to 500 m away, was awful.  It all depends on the orientation of your windows and the ambient noise in your unit.  If you have a fan on, not so bad.  If it's dead quiet, you'll hear a pin drop outside.

If they think it's bad now, just wait until service starts. Going to be lots of bellyaching then, for sure. Brace for it.
The anomaly aside, it is going to be a long-term noise pollution issue.
If trains are coming every 10 minutes each direction, then that means bells ringing every 5 minutes, all day long.

...for about one minute, too. At 70 km/h along the Spurs, they'll be triggered well in advance of a train approaching.

It irks me because the trains are so quiet, but these types of things are what make at-grade rail transport so unattractive.

Compare to this... https://youtu.be/j-RFXM06AZ0
(09-02-2016, 12:04 PM)Canard Wrote: Well, I can tell you that living in the Kaufman Lofts with the bells going off at Waterloo Street, probably close to 500 m away, was awful.  It all depends on the orientation of your windows and the ambient noise in your unit.  If you have a fan on, not so bad.  If it's dead quiet, you'll hear a pin drop outside.

A lot depends on the windows used in the building.  Good windows do an amazing job of sound insulation.  We don't even hear ambulances in our unit when the windows are closed, even if it's very quiet inside.  I haven't been inside Kaufman Lofts, but it's quite possible the builder selected less expensive windows.

Triple pane windows are the best, similar to this:
http://www.bquiet.ca/how-they-work.html

Apartment renters are actually paying a higher rate of tax than house owners.  In Kitchener that's 2.1% (total) on multi-residential vs 1.1% on a single-family home.
I lived in the42 for years, and even with Bridgeport rush hour traffic, as well as fire trucks using it as their main access to many calls, I can say it was incredibly peaceful.

On the other hand, I live in Kaufman now, and indeed at night if the fan is off, I can hear street level conversations. When they get bad, I'll turn the fan on to drown it out. I am curious to see how LRT noises affect me.
Yep. Hearing the conversations of those in Phase II (we were in Phase I) or on the balconies below us was what prompted is to move. The hallways were awful, too - but that was people there seemed to have little concept that even quiet conversations traveled down the concrete halls, and through the paper-thin doors into every unit.

The folks on the ground floor facing King and Francis are going to be living a nightmare. The rumbling alone from train movements is going to be enough to make anyone want to move.
I think a lot of that could be improved, if the condo corporation is willing (and able) to spend money improving windows. Based on what the two of you are saying, it sure looks like "as cheap as possible" was the original construction goal.

I put weather stripping around my door, but I'm also at the end of a hall. If my neighbour slams his kitchen cupboards closed with force, I hear them. Even a friend in Arrow lofts recently agreed to a condo offer to better soundproof walls (though they only did some, which seems doubly wasteful to me).
(09-02-2016, 12:07 PM)Markster Wrote: The anomaly aside, it is going to be a long-term noise pollution issue.
If trains are coming every 10 minutes each direction, then that means bells ringing every 5 minutes, all day long.

"day" being the operative word there.  Even the family pointed out the most problematic part of this was that it was overnight.

Also, the clanging is far more noticeable when there is no train.  I usually can't even hear the clanging on the one my street over the train--admittedly, the trains going past my house are somewhat longer.

That being said, I think the increase in train traffic will be an increase in noise pollution for some, while for others it will be a decrease (I would imagine VMT is the largest source of noise in our city).  I don't want to say it isn't an issue, but we should keep some perspective.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »