Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
2/6 - Saturday, August 27, 2016

Trackwork along King, in front of the Kaufman Lofts.

The now-open intersection of Francis and King.

The track curve between Charles and Victoria is going in!

Another shot of the Charles/Victoria track curve.

As others noted earlier in the week, the first concrete pour of the Queen platform has now taken place.

3/6 - Saturday, August 27, 2016

Nothing was happening on Ottawa (other than the other "half" got paved), and the crossovers at both KCI and Cameron Heights haven't begun installation yet, so no photos from either of those locations.

At the end of Borden, while no track has gone in yet (work here was to start this week), the duct bank is now in place.  I'm most curious how this curve will look, when complete - it's a bit tricky, because it's a transition from embedded track to ballasted, and will also need a restraining rail because r<150m.

The embedded track curve at Allen/King is now poured.

Allen platform

Willis Way now has its overhead canopy in place.

Another shot of the Willis Way station.  The far side of the platform will serve as a platform for buses as well (transfer point).
4/6 - Saturday, August 27, 2016

Backside of the Willis Way anchor wall is now outfitted with the glass tiles, as well.  Just needs that top row!

Trackwork taking place along the Waterloo Spur.

Huge gantry supporting railway signals now in place at Seagram.  Thanks, Transport Canada!

Seagram stop uprights for the canopy now have protective coverings - presumably for the impending concrete work on the platform.

This, unfortunately, is what the entrance to the R+T Park station is now going to look like.  I think it's absolutely terrible.  Those fences have got to go, and look like garbage. C'mon!
5/6 - Saturday, August 27, 2016

Crossing arm work taking place today behind Albert McCormic Arena.

Tons of work happening in the OMSF Yard!

Track curve waiting for concrete between the Waterloo Spur and Northfield.

Ballasted track going in across the Northfield Bridge over the Conestoga Parkway!
6/6 - Saturday, August 27, 2016

Really hard to get a good vantage point here (too busy/was exhausted at this point), but the embedded track curve at Norhtfield/King is now complete, and traffic on Northfield has now shifted to the South side of the rapidway.

Looking back down Northfield.

A different view of the side of the OMSF that very few of us will (unfortunately) ever get to see - the grand entrance to the main hall.

Another shot of the main entrance.

TPSS Enclosure almost complete at Northfield.
Great article out of Ottawa (from a fellow I went to High School with!):

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news...as-history
I came across this old diagram of the which helps to answer my own question of a few pages back about what exactly is being installed at the platforms now and later:
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...pdf#page=4

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Charging fees to the townships for services they do not benefit from is absurd.

While the title of this article is slightly (and deliberately I'm sure) inflammatory, it's absurd to charge fees for services that do not exist. Why should reisdents of Conestogo, Maryhill, Heidelburg, Wellesley, et al pay for transit when there is no transit available in those communities? Elmira and St Jacobs have transit (sub par though it may be), and residents of those communities rightly pay for it. But the other communities in the townships are not going to see transit service for decades, yet the region may very well decide to charge $3,600 per new home no matter where in the township they are built? If the chooses this option, is it unfair for residents of the townships to expect some transit service in return for their money, or is that asking too much?

I am an unswerving supporter of LRT but I don't think people should have to pay for something when there community is not serviced by it.

Region Eyes Fees On Township Builds To Help Finance LRT.

http://observerxtra.com/2016/08/18/regio...nance-lrt/
I agree with you Elmira_Guy but I think the argument would likely be:

"Rapid Transit will prevent suburban sprawl protecting all the townships from these changes.

While I agree it will cut down suburban sprawl and the associated costs that come with it, I just don't see how that significantly benefits the individual Township homeowner.
I hope this idea does not come to pass as it may prevent future rapid transit extensions and lines within the region.
Is it not already the case though that the cities are not permitted to expand out into the townships? For example, is there not a green belt between Waterloo and Woolwich?

Seems to me that residents of the townships should be getting some sort of rebate seeing as they had their waste transfer stations shut down and are now being forced to bring all rubbish and yard waste (that can't be curbed) into Erb St landfill. I mention that as I see it as indicative of the view held by the region towards the townships. Less important, but still a good source of revenue even if the services being charged for are not made available.

I'm curious to see what others think. It will be quite indicative of how people view the townships and their residents
Taxes in general are levied against people who don't directly benefit from the services all the time, because we think it's something that benefits society as a whole. That's just how taxes work.

It is obviously a little more subtle than that, and I don't specifically have an issue with pro-rating township taxes for no transit service, but I don't find the "I don't directly benefit from this service" argument very compelling. I mean, everyone who lives in Canada pays federal taxes which support Via Rail but many Canadian's live in cities not serviced by Via Rail. Same in Ontario for GO Transit I believe.
(08-28-2016, 04:09 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Is it not already the case though that the cities are not permitted to expand out into the townships? For example, is there not a green belt between Waterloo and Woolwich?

Seems to me that residents of the townships should be getting some sort of rebate seeing as they had their waste transfer stations shut down and are now being forced to bring all rubbish and yard waste (that can't be curbed) into Erb St landfill. I mention that as I see it as indicative of the view held by the region towards the townships. Less important, but still a good source of revenue even if the services being charged for are not made available.

I'm curious to see what others think. It will be quite indicative of how people view the townships and their residents

The idea of a “no waste transfer station” rebate based on township/city is questionable. For some residents of Wellesley, the Erb St. landfill is closer than it is for almost anybody in the City of Waterloo. A rational basis for such a rebate would have to be related to driving distance from the landfill, although I would accept straight-line distance as an acceptable compromise for practicality.
Quote:I'm curious to see what others think. It will be quite indicative of how people view the townships and their residents

Not that I was really interested in sharing my thoughts on this anyway, but you basically just already told us you're not interested in hearing any opinion that differs from your own.

(08-28-2016, 03:36 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Charging fees to the townships for services they do not benefit from is absurd.

I am an unswerving supporter of LRT but I don't think people should have to pay for something when there community is not serviced by it.

I don't have kids so  I want a discount on my school board taxes. I don't drive a car, so I don't want to pay road taxes. I don't get sick, so I want a discount on my medicare taxes. I never go to the townships, so I want to make sure that none of my tax money goes to them ever since I don't use their facilities.... I also want them to pay for the department of agriculture, which I never use either.

You get the picture, taxes do not work on a per use basis. We pool revenues on to the city/regional/provincial/federal pot and we entrust them to spend in the ways that society benefits the most from that money. Me?  I'm pretty happy some of my tax monies are going up north to improve the quality of drinking water in isolated communities.
(08-28-2016, 07:19 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 03:36 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Charging fees to the townships for services they do not benefit from is absurd.

I don't have kids so  I want a discount on my school board taxes. I don't drive a car, so I don't want to pay road taxes. I don't get sick, so I want a discount on my medicare taxes. I never go to the townships, so I want to make sure that none of my tax money goes to them ever since I don't use their facilities.... I also want them to pay for the department of agriculture, which I never use either.

You get the picture, taxes do not work on a per use basis. We pool revenues on to the city/regional/provincial/federal pot and we entrust them to spend in the ways that society benefits the most from that money. Me?  I'm pretty happy some of my tax monies are going up north to improve the quality of drinking water in isolated communities.

And this, in short is the answer.  It's neither realistic or desirable to micro-target taxes to only people who benefit from specific services.  Elmira Guy, you yourself said that St Jacobs and Elmira residents do get transit, so are you saying people in only those two towns should pay, and other towns should not?  How far from town?  Should Heidelberg, Breslau and St Jacobs residents get a rebate on their Woolwich taxes because they don't benefit from the street maintenance in Elmira?  Why should mennonite residents pay to Woolwich for recreation centres they never use? 

Really, this kind of thing simply doesn't work.  In the end, a plurality of people will elect a government (at each level), and that government then sets priorities for spending and taxation.  If you don't agree with the government spending money on project X or Y, work on getting a different government elected next time there is an election.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »