Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Page 45 of this PDF is the only thing I've seen.

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...6-0322.pdf

Discussion in the GRT thread: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...1#pid18551

(08-24-2016, 02:09 PM)Canard Wrote: When you say "Charles", which section? Assume you mean somewhere around the transit terminal? It's been open for a long time now past Benton.

Last week's update stated today as the day Charles would reopen to two-way traffic, though I'm not sure what parts they were referring to. I know at least from Victoria - Ontario (and probably to Queen), the No Entry signs have been removed and traffic cones taken away. Beyond that it was two-way to Cedar already. I'm not sure if it's 2 way even further (considering the crossover).
Ontario to Queen may still be closed, as I understand they don't want to reopen to traffic until the slope along the large parking lot is reinforced.
Willis Way station:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Silly question #2375447, how does one become an LRT operator? I see in Edmonton you have to be part of the regular transit operator pool and then have some specialzed in-house training. Since GRT and GrandLinq will have different workforces where will the initial drivers come from? Does Bombardier have some sort of school on how to use their equipment? Are there specialized test 'pilots' for when a new system/vehicle is being put through its paces?
I am 90% certain there's an MTO certification you need to have in order to drive even a light rail vehicle.

Beyond that, I'm as much in the dark as you are. If it were like standard private sector employees, you'd take applications from people, check their certifications, and then interview them: preferring applicants who have similar and extensive prior experience, and excellent references. But this assumes a large pool of acceptable applicants.

I don't know if we can assume that in the public transportation sector.
You have to have a clean driver's license record (no demerit points) and that's about it. Previous large vehicle driving and customer experience is an asset but not required. Years ago I applied with the TTC to become a subway driver and it was much the same there.

Keolis is taking care of the hiring directly, it's totally separate and has nothing to do with GRT - they've already hired their Lead folks for LRV ops (and many other positions at the OMSF), but I suspect they have deferred actual fleet ops until closer to when the trains arrive. (Yes, I've been keeping an eye on that Wink )

Thanks!

Currently keolis has an hr generalist, admin assistant, team leader vehicles, and maintenance engineer listed. The types of postings will probably be an early indicator of when the trains are arriving.
Willis Way station (currently) feels a bit weird to me. The anchor wall defines the main side of the platform you will/won't be standing on. Since this station is on the UpTown side of the tracks, it means you're waiting for the train while watching out over a giant sea of (currently) parking and backyards, rather than Willis Way.
I don't think I understand your concern - are you suggesting it should be called something else? The anchor wall is centred width-wise (isn't it?) on the platform, and has tiles on both sides.
It's not about naming, it's just station placement. Whatever side of the tracks the station is on, because of the anchor wall, will direct people to stand on the rail side of the station, looking out over the rails and whatever is behind them. Because the stop at Willis Way is on the east side of the tracks, people will be on the west side of the platform, looking west onto the parking lots and backyards found there, rather than a more active and continuing to become more active eastern view.
I still don't really see the problem. Remember, buses will be using the East side of the platform here.

I guess a better question: how would you prefer the station be configured?
(08-25-2016, 11:25 AM)BrianT Wrote: [Image: 29224094755_c5672da09d_k.jpg]
They have the concrete curbs in and now they are starting to lay the tracks at Victoria and Charles Streets.

Who the heck is the engineer designing these intersections? What the heck is with the inconsistent applications of curb radius?

The upper left curb radius is travel-lane-to-travel-lane. It ignores the LRT lane as a possible destination for right turning traffic.
The lower right curb is LRT-lane-to-travel-lane. It presumes that traffic will turn from the LRT lane to the side street.

The former is so much better for pedestrians. But why are they so inconsistent?

(08-25-2016, 11:43 AM)Canard Wrote: buses will be using the East side of the platform here.

Ah! Hadn't realized. That makes the platform placement more obvious, now.
(08-25-2016, 11:47 AM)Markster Wrote: The upper left curb radius is travel-lane-to-travel-lane.

No it's not - it's a constant radius for a little while, and then is notched out where the LRT track is.  It's tangent to the road lane on Charles, not the LRT lane.  See below (rotate your head 90 degrees; your "upper left" here is actually "upper right"):

I genuinely see nothing wrong with this - what is the issue? (help me understand)

(08-25-2016, 11:47 AM)Markster Wrote:  It ignores the LRT lane as a possible destination for right turning traffic.

The LRT lane is never a destination for right-turning traffic!!

(08-25-2016, 11:47 AM)Markster Wrote: The former is so much better for pedestrians.  But why are they so inconsistent?

I don't understand this statement at all - I see a lot of fuss about curb radii but cannot fathom how this makes any different for crossing pedestrians.  What is the issue?

(Wow, the Rapid Transit team really pissed off a lot of people today it seems!)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »