Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(08-03-2016, 02:40 PM)Canard Wrote: There are also a good number of cars that will be going on 35+ years in service that they may either scrap or sell off to other operators.

I am under the impression that they are continuously refurbishing their cars, are there plans to retire some?

The bigger question I have, is does this order mean that the electrified lines will be using an electric locomotive to pull existing cars, as opposed to using a new EMU setup?

I was under the impression that EMUs have better performance specifically acceleration.

(08-03-2016, 02:31 PM)Markster Wrote: 125 new passenger cars mean 11 new trainsets (they also require 1 (or 2) engine(s) and a cab car on top of 11 passenger cars).  That will be 11 more rush hour runs across all their lines than today.

Are all routes running the full 11-car train?  If not, some of the new cars could allow expanding capacity on such routes.
(08-03-2016, 03:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am under the impression that they are continuously refurbishing their cars, are there plans to retire some?

I don't think there are explicit plans, but it's a reasonable theory as well.
Quote:The bigger question I have, is does this order mean that the electrified lines will be using an electric locomotive to pull existing cars, as opposed to using a new EMU setup?

Electrification is a larger study that is currently underway. Eventually they will make choices about acquiring EMUs, but in the meantime, GO continues to plan for and operate the status quo. One of the likely first steps with electrification will be electric engines that pull the same non-powered cars as usual.

(08-03-2016, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Are all routes running the full 11-car train?  If not, some of the new cars could allow expanding capacity on such routes.

Yes, they're still lengthening some routes from 10-car to 12-car. But 125 new cars could lengthen 62 trainsets, and I don't think they have that many 10-car trains to lengthen.
(08-03-2016, 03:47 PM)Markster Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Are all routes running the full 11-car train?  If not, some of the new cars could allow expanding capacity on such routes.

Yes, they're still lengthening some routes from 10-car to 12-car. But 125 new cars could lengthen 62 trainsets, and I don't think they have that many 10-car trains to lengthen.

That being the case, they'll need to order some additional locomotives as well.

And, indeed, they have a slew of MP54AC locomotives on order already:
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/mech...ansit.html

It may be that with the BBD order, the older locomotives won't be retired as quickly.
It's not uncommon to see ten-car trains on the off-peak Lakeshore runs - an inconvenience when you're at the end of the platform at Union Station after a Blue Jays game and your train stops two cars short.
Schedule for New Route 24 - Cambridge/Milton has been released: http://www.gotransit.com/Public/en/updat...able24.pdf

Stops will be located at Cambridge (Ainslie) Bus Terminal, Hespeler/Pinebush, RR25/401 and Milton GO.
I wonder whether the existing 25A bus from UW to Milton GO will lose the Cambridge stop.

I wonder whether they'll move the SmartCentres stop to a more logical location.
(08-18-2016, 08:34 PM)D40LF Wrote: I wonder whether they'll move the SmartCentres stop to a more logical location.

it's a pretty good spot, easy access to the hwy. Doesn't help that the iexpress doesn't go to it now.
A new inter-city ride sharing service - OpenRide - is looking at opening here in Canada.  

Inter-city ride-sharing company targets the GTA

They have been operating out of L.A since March 2016 and have been established and operated by a Canadian. 

They do not intend to compete with Uber or Lyft for business and plan to connect communities with a ride sharing service. Their premise is to connect people and are not in the business to allow commercial vehicle operators to make a profit using their service. "The idea for us is a cost-recovery service." People will be able to negotiate a price butt there will be a maximum price for trips. 

The website for OPENRIDE is still in BETA but here is the link. OPENRIDE
http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/P...able31.pdf

New Kitchener GO Train times

Kitchener->Toronto
05:24-07:27
06:04-07:55 EXPRESS from Bramalea
06:47-08:50
07:10-09:03

Toronto->Kitchener
16:50-18:45 EXPRESS to Bramalea
17:20-19:27
17:50-19:57
18:50-20:57

GO route 30 will run half-hourly during peak (in reverse peak direction) and then hourly during midday and night. No weekend service.
So... if I wanted to commute to Toronto in the morning, what are my new options?

I was given to understand that, previously, my choices were: crack of stupid or get in a little after 9 on the train, or take Greyhound.
Two of those train trips are new. Are any of them any faster? It was already (slightly) better than two hours, wasn’t it?

The addition of the bus service is great, but I was hoping it would be a bit faster than that. Even at 4:30 in the morning it takes a full hour to get to Brampton?

(08-22-2016, 11:24 AM)chutten Wrote: So... if I wanted to commute to Toronto in the morning, what are my new options?

I was given to understand that, previously, my choices were: crack of stupid or get in a little after 9 on the train, or take Greyhound.

There are four trains Toronto-bound in the morning, as posted above.  If those don't work for you, you have the option of either Greyhound to Dundas Station or GO Bus (route 30) to Yorkdale (or GO Bus connecting to GO Train, to get to Union Station).

None are particularly quick, but for now that's pretty much as good as it can be.
You can see the new schedule for the Cambridge > Milton GO Route here: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updat...able24.pdf

[Image: 22-14-3vhzm-9n23u.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »