Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
Great vantage point!!

(08-10-2016, 09:21 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Great vantage point!!

Yeah I can watch as it changes from day-to-day. Those must be duct banks because they have poured concrete on them.
This week on the east approach they finally did some utility (?) work behind 16 Victoria and then filled the gap in the ramp.

A rail crew has started laying track between Duke and Waterloo.

On the west side, they hauled over a half dozen ties today, but otherwise nothing has happened in the last 6 weeks.

[Image: 28697295830_97490d9abc_k.jpg]

They have been working all day Sunday to lay the tracks on the overpass.
Rail over the bridge.

Soon there'll be rails over the bridge.
Looking good!!
Thanks for the updates - Your vantage point is great!

This looks SO GOOD with rail across it! Can you guys picture the rest of King being dug out on the North side? Wow!
After seeing this, am I right in thinking that the only reason the North side of the tracks hasn't been excavated is because of the existing tracks themselves? And that once the tracks on the bridge are online, the rest of the excavation can continue?

(It'd be fun to be on the very first train over the bridge! Without a doubt, though, it'll happen with no fanfare and people onboard the train won't even notice. :: grumble :: )
(08-15-2016, 12:45 PM)Canard Wrote: After seeing this, am I right in thinking that the only reason the North side of the tracks hasn't been excavated is because of the existing tracks themselves?  And that once the tracks on the bridge are online, the rest of the excavation can continue?
Yes, but there are some steps to go. Based on the layout of the west side, it looks like the line will be connected to the Huron Park spur, and then the gap in the ramp for the current connection filled in.
Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but those look like wooden ties not concrete ties. Is a different contractor doing the work on the bridge or something? I realize this is not the LRT line, but I would expect them just to use the same ties they've already ordered.

WRT first train over the bridge, how long a time frame are we looking at. My parents will be taking the train through here in about two weeks.
Project co may not need to maintain the mainline after installation, which could account for wood vs concrete. Or Metrolinx (owner of track) could have requested wood ties.

Project agreement armchair experts may have other theories.
Timio - Are you asking about the wooden ties on the bridge? They're wood for the same reason the ones on the new-ish Huron Spur are wood.

Rails over the bridge.

(08-15-2016, 01:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is a different contractor doing the work on the bridge or something?

The mainline track work here is being done by A&B Rail.
Will it be 1 set or 2 set of track/s on the bridge?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »