Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-08-2016, 10:23 AM)Canard Wrote: That's great news. With the curbs already in on Charles, between Ottawa and Borden, we might see some good progress here over the next month (ie, total finalization).

Hopefully the work will continue onto Ottawa, which is currently roughly graded, but still needs curbs, sidewalks, (light and cat) pole foundations, pavement -- and the embedded track!

Is Ottawa wet-utility complete, though? I haven't been down Ottawa proper in a few weeks to investigate. I was under the impression that all of the above was still a few months away.
Apparently, yes, given that they are (supposedly) preparing for the base coat of asphalt (haven't seen much activity though) on Ottawa. And Ottawa is supposed to open mid-August, that's only about a week away.

Clearly the embedded track and the sidewalks won't be done by then. Hopefully at least the curbs will be in place.
The beams supporting the roof and the roof supports for the Laurier-Waterloo Park are now in. I'll see if I can get a photo on my way home. Actually looks like a station! Ironic that the station that will likely have the least utility in the system seems to be getting a lot of the "firsts."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The beams supporting the roof and the roof supports for the Laurier-Waterloo Park are now in. I'll see if I can get a photo on my way home. Actually looks like a station! Ironic that the station that will likely have the least utility in the system seems to be getting a lot of the "firsts."

If anything, that's the one I would choose to do first. It's the least disruptive for any remediation.
(08-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The beams supporting the roof and the roof supports for the Laurier-Waterloo Park are now in. I'll see if I can get a photo on my way home. Actually looks like a station! Ironic that the station that will likely have the least utility in the system seems to be getting a lot of the "firsts."

I think that may be on purpose - if anything needs to be corrected, adjusted, reworked, etc it's on a low-use structure where it will not have a heavy impact.
Latest ion update has lots of goodies:
  • ION stop and driver’s facility at Conestoga Mall
  • The new lot on the north side of the track at Seagram has been paved
  • Installation of the frame for the Willis Way anchor wall
  • Work has commenced on the Northbound Central Station LRT stop at the King Street Grade Separation
  • (Borden) Landscaping and the installation of sidewalks, as well as the overhead catenary system
  • Work at the Huron Spur/Borden will commence on or about August 22 to continue the track from Borden onto the Huron Spur
  • Ottawa/Mill intersection closure will be extended and will now re-open on or about October 15
  • Block Line/Courtland will close on or about August 15 for approximately two months. A detour will be in place via Manitou to Bleams to Homer Watson

Very fascinated by the stop work under the grade sep. It's so hard to see what's going on there, especially since the connection path in front of Google is now closed.

For the record, I did not say using this stop first was a bad idea, just that it was ironic.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
1/1 - Monday, August 8, 2016

Lots of progress today at the Seagram stop!

Top-notch fabrication here - beautiful welds and finish on this! If only the weldments I designed could come back to our shop this nice.
Is there a reason the pole bases are sunk into the concrete? Will they be refilled, or covered somehow? If they fill with water, will this be a problem if there's a sudden freeze?
(08-08-2016, 07:35 PM)Canard Wrote: Top-notch fabrication here - beautiful welds and finish on this!  If only the weldments I designed could come back to our shop this nice.

Agreed, very nice indeed!
(08-08-2016, 08:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: Is there a reason the pole bases are sunk into the concrete? Will they be refilled, or covered somehow? If they fill with water, will this be a problem if there's a sudden freeze?

They'll be covered for sure, if not filled with concrete.  They don't just leave things like that exposed. The top surface of the concrete is not the final finish, either.
(08-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Actually looks like a station! Ironic that the station that will likely have the least utility in the system seems to be getting a lot of the "firsts."

No bias in your evaluation of this station (seeing RED above) ... Your view does not mean that this is a quid pro quo for the real world. Yes even bias can be ironic

Not very busy on Frederick when I passed by earlier - but it was certainly well lit.

[Image: nQBH4Dj.jpg]

[Image: 47KDoln.jpg]
Walked by the freight rail crossing King in Uptown tonight and looks like it's connected to the northbound ION line now!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »