Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It looks like the sidewalk will be only on the opposite side of the bridge; at least that's my interpretation of the current state of construction. And note that the tall dividing curb is slanted inward on the side of the bridge centre: the slanted side of the curb is normally on the outside of the embedded track.

Yes, it looks that way to me as well. Might they put a separate pedestrian deck alongside the original bridge?
Thank you. Will be interesting for it to come together. Just strange that the drawings show a sidewalk, and Borden didn't get the same treatment at the creek.
Crews are out working on the deck of the King St. Grade Sep this morning!
1/4 - Sunday, August 7, 2016

King/Victoria.

King/Victoria.

Loving this view along Charles.

King/Francis.

King/Francis (Kaufman Lofts).
2/4 - Sunday, August 7, 2016

King/Francis.

King/Francis.

Was surprised to see crews out on a Sunday morning (well, I guess I shouldn't be! That's the norm, now) at the King St. Grade Sep.

King St. Grade Sep.

Looking up King, toward Waterloo.  Note that this section is now "concrete complete".  Once the cones are gone, pavement markings done, and the catpoles/catenary is up - this will be all done.
3/4 - Sunday, August 7, 2016

One of my new favourite views, down King, toward downtown Kitchener.  A nice long shot of an LRV popping up out of the grade sep. is going to look fantastic, here.

Looking up King, toward Waterloo.  All those tram signals!

Another shot up King, toward Waterloo.

...and looking back again, down toward Kitchener.

Tracks in place at the future Allen station.[/i]

4/4 - Sunday, August 7, 2016

Just a few more shots of track in place along King, at Allen.

LRT Progress: By the Numbers - Paige Desmond, The Record
Thanks for all the new pictures.
It always crazy to me seeing the photos of King and Victoria without a road.
Yikes - there's some serious concrete reprofiling going on at R&T Park station!

I had noticed a steadily-growing mound of concrete at the South end of the platform, from the trail... but it didn't occur to me that it was actually coming from the platform itself.

On the West side of the platform (Southbound/Gauntlet tracks), a long ditch is being carved out, starting at the South end, heading North.  It's almost to the end of the platform now.

On the East side of the platform (Northbound), block-shaped sections are being chipped out, at non-regular intervals.

Unrelated to the above work, while I was there, I thought I'd take a photo of the connection at the North end of the platform, to the Philip-side development.  I think they'll have to replace the track ties here, with wider ones, to accommodate the deck plates that are typically used at crossings.
(08-04-2016, 07:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 12:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: Very pleased to spot the welding crew by Full Circle just now. Once that is welded and the track embedded, it will close the final gap on Charles within the downtown loop!

The welds are done and ground down now.  Where is the concrete truck when we need it?

Concrete forms started now, so we should see the tracks embedded in the coming week.

Ooo, somehow I missed that Borden/Charles is closing for 4 weeks, starting this morning - guessing for Northbound track installation! Borden Southwest to Charles Northwest will remain open, so that supports my guess as to what they're up to.

Yes, I think so. They had the track location marked in the pavement so I expect to see it torn up shortly. There was no equipment there this morning yet, though.
That's great news. With the curbs already in on Charles, between Ottawa and Borden, we might see some good progress here over the next month (ie, total finalization).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »