Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The TPSS sitting on a trailer on Courtland at Block Line is still just sitting there. I would have expected it would have been plopped in by now!

Crews on King by Central Fresh are building a residential retaining wall just South of the school that got the new stairs (I'm sorry - I can never remember it's name!).

(07-28-2016, 05:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Crews on King by Central Fresh are building a residential retaining wall just South of the school that got the new stairs (I'm sorry - I can never remember it's name!).

Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School. Or (oddly) KCI for short.

Don't ask me why, I'm an alumnus and I still don't know.
(07-28-2016, 05:47 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 05:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Crews on King by Central Fresh are building a residential retaining wall just South of the school that got the new stairs (I'm sorry - I can never remember it's name!).

Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School. Or (oddly) KCI for short.

Because it's in Kitchener?  Smile  I know that my Mom, who graduated in 1941, always called it KCI.
Well yeah, but if it's a C&VS, why add CI?
(07-28-2016, 06:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 05:47 PM)KevinL Wrote: Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School. Or (oddly) KCI for short.

Because it's in Kitchener?  Smile  I know that my Mom, who graduated in 1941, always called it KCI.

It was ‘Kitchener Collegiate Institute’ from 1916–1922.
(07-28-2016, 06:54 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 06:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Well yeah, but if it's a C&VS, why add CI?

In the old days it was just Kitchener Collegiate Institute (KCI), then they got politically correct and added Waterloo and Vocational School and dropped the Institute. Everybody just kept calling it KCI.

Well, just learned something tonight that I never picked up in 5 years of attending that institution! Cheers.
This evening when I went by Frederick/King the workers were putting up jersey barrier blocks along the fence on Frederick... dunno if they anticipate people trying to drive right through or what but it seems like a good idea.

(07-28-2016, 06:54 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 06:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Well yeah, but if it's a C&VS, why add CI?

In the old days it was just Kitchener Collegiate Institute (KCI), then they got politically correct and added Waterloo and Vocational School and dropped the Institute. Everybody just kept calling it KCI.

That has nothing to do with political correctness. It's just a tendency of bureaucracy to use ever longer, more important sounding names. E.g. Waterloo Park becomes Waterloo Outdoor Recreational Facilty (or something like that), as the sign on Westmount used to read in the 90s.
(07-28-2016, 06:49 PM)kps Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 06:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Because it's in Kitchener?  Smile  I know that my Mom, who graduated in 1941, always called it KCI.

It was ‘Kitchener Collegiate Institute’ from 1916–1922.

Does the current building fronting on King date from 1922?  I know the older school is still tucked in at the back.
(07-23-2016, 12:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 11:57 AM)KevinL Wrote: The more important question: Why is the sign so high up the pole?

To discourage vandals?

Can't wait for the next one above it ... look up!
(07-27-2016, 11:49 PM)timc Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 09:44 PM)Lens Wrote: I'm willing to bet the people that live in this neighbourhood will have holes in the fence within a week. Access to the Fairway strip is too essential to too many people and many don't have or don't rely on cars.

I agree with your assessment. And certainly the project planners must be expecting it, so what do they intend to do about it?

Build a wall?  Confused  Oh sorry that is the other guy south of the border.
(07-28-2016, 08:27 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Build a wall?  Confused  Oh sorry that is the other guy south of the border.

I bet they'd make the residents of the area pay for it too. Big Grin
Posting almost 12 hours after I took them... but here's Frederick!

[Image: 5AoU0CC.jpg]

[Image: cDOOj8L.jpg]

[Image: 7bJQqgN.jpg]

Are there plans to "smooth" the edges between the asphalt and the concrete at Queen at Duke and at Charles? The both look a bit rough...
Probably! Usually the final layer is the very last step. A telltale sign is the interface at the curb - if it looks like it's a few cm too short, then there's another layer to come.

Thanks for the photos Kevin!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »