Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Chain link fence is up in the Hydro corridor, and as far as i can see from my balcony there doesn't seam to be any crossings connecting the trail with the strip-malls/Fairway Sad .  Crossing fingers it's behind the trees that are obstructing my view.

(07-27-2016, 06:18 PM)ert86 Wrote: Chain link fence is up in the Hydro corridor, and as far as i can see from my balcony there doesn't seam to be any crossings connecting the trail with the strip-malls/Fairway Sad .  Crossing fingers it's behind the trees that are obstructing my view.

I'm pretty sure you're hoping beyond what's possible, alas. The issue is that among those commercial properties there is no 'official' pedestrian access point - lots of holes in fences or gaps in bushes but no actual, sanctioned entry point. There would have to be one for a crossing to be built (they'd want lights and a lift arm), so without one there is no getting there.
(07-27-2016, 03:02 PM)Canard Wrote: I just got some very good news. Trammy Mc. Tramface (the sign on Borden) is just a prototype - and is being replaced with a better design. Smile Someone at the Region was just as picky as me, it seems, and is making some changes!

Perhaps they should auction off that one-off sign for charity? Wink

This is the worst news I have ever encountered.

Also, dibs.
(07-27-2016, 07:14 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 06:18 PM)ert86 Wrote: Chain link fence is up in the Hydro corridor, and as far as i can see from my balcony there doesn't seam to be any crossings connecting the trail with the strip-malls/Fairway Sad .  Crossing fingers it's behind the trees that are obstructing my view.

I'm pretty sure you're hoping beyond what's possible, alas. The issue is that among those commercial properties there is no 'official' pedestrian access point - lots of holes in fences or gaps in bushes but no actual, sanctioned entry point. There would have to be one for a crossing to be built (they'd want lights and a lift arm), so without one there is no getting there.

That's probably why they fixed the property fence at my apt after years of not caring.  goodbye Food Basics shortcut
(07-27-2016, 08:05 PM)ert86 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 07:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm pretty sure you're hoping beyond what's possible, alas. The issue is that among those commercial properties there is no 'official' pedestrian access point - lots of holes in fences or gaps in bushes but no actual, sanctioned entry point. There would have to be one for a crossing to be built (they'd want lights and a lift arm), so without one there is no getting there.

That's probably why they fixed the property fence at my apt after years of not caring.  goodbye Food Basics shortcut

I wouldn't use the word possible, a crossing is obviously possible, but they're choosing not to build one.

This is quite frustrating, but no more so than the usual inaccessible nature of a city built for cars.  That was a major comment in the region transportation survey I had.  Blocking pedestrian access like this, or in a dozen other strip malls in the city just makes everyone drive.
(07-27-2016, 05:50 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: What sign? Did I miss this....

I spotted a new "LRV Lane" sign up on Borden a few days ago. Am not the happiest about it since it's non-standard (and in my opinion, pretty ugly). Things went downhill fairly quickly. Smile The sign is coming down, though.
(07-27-2016, 08:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 08:05 PM)ert86 Wrote: That's probably why they fixed the property fence at my apt after years of not caring.  goodbye Food Basics shortcut

I wouldn't use the word possible, a crossing is obviously possible, but they're choosing not to build one.

This is quite frustrating, but no more so than the usual inaccessible nature of a city built for cars.  That was a major comment in the region transportation survey I had.  Blocking pedestrian access like this, or in a dozen other strip malls in the city just makes everyone drive.

I'm willing to bet the people that live in this neighbourhood will have holes in the fence within a week. Access to the Fairway strip is too essential to too many people and many don't have or don't rely on cars.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it looks like King & Frederick may be closed now. I just drove through on Queen and there were signs for local traffic only heading south on King.
(07-27-2016, 10:42 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it looks like King & Frederick may be closed now. I just drove through on Queen and there were signs for local traffic only heading south on King.

Oh, it's certainly closed; the asphalt has been pulled up and is in nice big piles. I hope to have photos tomorrow, if others don't beat me to it.
Track work has started at the Conestoga station!!! Tracks are placed (but not embedded) in the station area, and crossing across half of Conestogo Rd. They seem to following the same method as the hydro corridor -> Courtland crossing (that is, embed track halfway across, then switch traffic to that half and embed across the other half). A surprisingly efficient method, requiring traffic to be no more delayed than it is normally. I like it!
(07-27-2016, 09:44 PM)Lens Wrote: I'm willing to bet the people that live in this neighbourhood will have holes in the fence within a week. Access to the Fairway strip is too essential to too many people and many don't have or don't rely on cars.

I agree with your assessment. And certainly the project planners must be expecting it, so what do they intend to do about it?
(07-27-2016, 07:14 PM)KevinL Wrote:

Actually, there is a simple approach, which may or may not be possible now given where everything has been built (I’m not familiar with the exact layout including measurements): put trails on both sides of the tracks. Then a crossing can be built anywhere. In practice one would build the crossings to hook up to existing worn paths across the hydro corridor but officially they would just be here and there and wherever, connecting the two paths.
(07-27-2016, 11:49 PM)timc Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 09:44 PM)Lens Wrote: I'm willing to bet the people that live in this neighbourhood will have holes in the fence within a week. Access to the Fairway strip is too essential to too many people and many don't have or don't rely on cars.

I agree with your assessment. And certainly the project planners must be expecting it, so what do they intend to do about it?

Nothing, they intend to do nothing about it. It's the job of the community not to let them get away with that.

Just guessing: but maybe the Region is going to wait until GrandLinq is done, then take care of adding a crossing on their own?

Asking them to rework the design and integrate a crossing at this point is a scope change and could open up a can of worms - giving GrandLinq and opportunity to delay their "Substantial Completion" date, increase their cost, etc - might be like the Waterloo Park fence thing (easier for the Region to just do it on their own afterward - obviously with integration to the VMS and everything since it'd need to have signal arms due to train speeds here).
Forms were being built on King in front of the Kaufman Lofts this morning, to surround the track from the end of the embedded curve on Francis around the corner onto King and up to the pedestrian crossing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »