Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Rumbly! The concrete foundation and polished concrete floors is going to make those ground-floor units facing King kind of awful. View will be great, though! Big Grin. The ground floor units were cheaper (by a lot) when we bought our condo there (we used to live on the fourth floor, facing Victoria). That whole corner has changed so much in the last decade; it's pretty incredible.

The radio reminded me this morning that Wilson's shutting down between Fairway and Kingsway for a couple of months (track installation). That's gonna be a nasty one for folks in that area.

(07-24-2016, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway.

Soon enough, with the transit hub and other projects near King/Victoria, foot traffic will increase and it will become dangerous in addition to being a terrible experience.

That would have obliged converting the block of King to one-way, no?
(07-25-2016, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway.

Soon enough, with the transit hub and other projects near King/Victoria, foot traffic will increase and it will become dangerous in addition to being a terrible experience.

That would have obliged converting the block of King to one-way, no?

Or turning it into a pedestrian haven. *dreams*
My other half and I always believed that King should have been made a pedestrian+LRT corridor right through the heart of Kitchener, from Victoria to Frederick/Benton. Leave Duke and Charles as-is and close King. Lots of cities have done this, with fantastic results.
(07-25-2016, 09:25 AM)Canard Wrote: My other half and I always believed that King should have been made a pedestrian+LRT corridor right through the heart of Kitchener, from Victoria to Frederick/Benton. Leave Duke and Charles as-is and close King. Lots of cities have done this, with fantastic results.

Hear, hear.
That is a good idea and will probably has safety and financial merit to it as well.

(07-24-2016, 08:20 PM)Canard Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=1809]

(07-24-2016, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway

Yeah, they clearly aligned things based on making sure they could fit in the King-to-Francis left turn bay, which is frankly unnecessary. If you're on King St going into downtown, you're in for a slow drive regardless.  

The plan for that area:

Jeez, that Eastbound-to-Southbound turn radius is massive. How many tractor-trailers an hour are they expecting to be making that turn?
It's not for the trucks. It's for the swing-out radius clearance for the nose of our fixed-bogie LRV's.
I'm not talking about the LRT turn radius, I'm taking about the one for cars.
They have clearly marked that thin wedge as a "pedestrian refuge", so no LRV stuff is going to be swinging into it.  But to that point, it clearly could have been larger, with a tighter turn radius for the cars.
A possibly stupid question. Once this is completed, won't most pedestrians use the entire space (sidewalk, ION ROW, bus platform (will it be elevated all the way east?) as a sidewalk? That will leave only the stretch of sidewalk on the Francis St end as narrow. I ask this in all seriousness - I hope someone is not going to tell me that there will be some physical barrier between the sidewalk and the ION ROW.
People will use the ION lane as a sidewalk probably just as much as they use car lanes as one, which by my estimation is "only under heavy sidewalk crowding"*.

Being a street running section, I don't see them installing a fence, unless it becomes a problem. But it would be a real shame to make it impossible to cross the street.

[edit] *Also... possibly at night if they really run the LRT only every half hour.
Shouldn't you cross at the crosswalks at Francis or Victoria?

You definitely should, Canard.
Crossing the street mid-block, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »