Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I'm not sure, BuildingScout! But it's certainly the one I see the most in my travels. It's the most used one.

So don't you think it kind of makes sense to use an icon that is at least used a few other places - and not just make up yet another new thing, adding confusion?

Toronto actually uses 2 different ones; they have a CLRV-Esque icon on their stop poles, and at Leslie Barns they made a cute FLEXITY Outlook variant.

But the difference here is that those icons look good. This one looks like crap. Am I the only one here with even a glimmer of design sense that can see just how awful the one we have here looks?

I agree that the current one looks like crap. In fact it reminds me more of a funicular than a tram.

I was surprised to see that there does not seem to be a standard ISO front view of a tram. I went to google fully expecting to find a definitive icon, such as it is the case for road signs, but no such luck.
(07-23-2016, 09:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: What standard set that icon belongs to? A simple search for tram icon on google reports that one and many others with no indication that the one you sent is the standard one.

(07-23-2016, 09:34 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm not sure, BuildingScout! But it's certainly the one I see the most in my travels. It's the most used one.

That icon is from the AIGA symbol set, http://www.aiga.org/symbol-signs/. It was created back in the 70s jointly with the US department of transportation to create a global standard set of icons for airports and other transportation hubs. If you look through the set it's definitely the standard you'll see at any airport/transit hub these days.
(07-24-2016, 01:40 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 09:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: What standard set that icon belongs to? A simple search for tram icon on google reports that one and many others with no indication that the one you sent is the standard one.

(07-23-2016, 09:34 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm not sure, BuildingScout! But it's certainly the one I see the most in my travels. It's the most used one.

That icon is from the AIGA symbol set, http://www.aiga.org/symbol-signs/. It was created back in the 70s jointly with the US department of transportation to create a global standard set of icons for airports and other transportation hubs. If you look through the set it's definitely the standard you'll see at any airport/transit hub these days.

But wait, that icon is for a train with the two air horns at the top, not a tram. Anyways, seems this one would be at least a bit more standard that the one chosen by the city.
(07-24-2016, 07:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Anyways, seems this one would be at least a bit more standard that the one chosen by the city.

Yeah - that was mostly what I was trying to get at. If you're going to go non-standard, at least make it try to look good or applicable to what's actually here! This is what Toronto's done with their streetcar stops:

[Image: pcc.gif]

Here are some unique ones I spotted on my travels in Japan:

The one for Linimo is cute because it actually looks just like the front of the trains (it's a Maglev).  Same with the Portliner; it's an AGT system on tires that rides in a concrete trough.
Looks like paving at Queen/Duke may happen this mornings/afternoon! Paving equipment is staged up, ready to rock. Guys are out wiring up the lights right now.

They're also pulling some of the stored rail segments blocking Freemont onto King, down Allen. Cool process to watch! A couple tried to cut right through the work zone and I warned them to walk around. She complained "Why are they working on a weekend when we're supposed to be jogging?!"

Some people....
(07-24-2016, 07:58 AM)Canard Wrote: Looks like paving at Queen/Duke may happen this mornings/afternoon! Paving equipment is staged up, ready to rock. Guys are out wiring up the lights right now.

They're also pulling some of the stored rail segments blocking Freemont onto King, down Allen. Cool process to watch! A couple tried to cut right through the work zone and I warned them to walk around. She complained "Why are they working on a weekend when we're supposed to be jogging?!"

Some people....

Awesome! Truly the tapestry of humanity is a highly variable weave! I might have to get down there to watch the process — it’s only a couple of blocks from where I live.

In case you don't make it down, here's what's going on:

(07-23-2016, 09:06 PM)Canard Wrote: [Image: hotel-icon-near-transit-stop-hi.png]

Don't confuse me!

That image is definitely one of the televisions we had when I was a kid. From top to bottom: the "rabbit ears" antennae; the Electrohome logo spot; the tiny black-and-white cathode ray screen; the channel-change and fine-tuning knobs; the built-in stand.

If you put that on the LRT route, I'm going to take a quick look, be thinking "Wow, they have community TV at this corner", put on my blinker, and turn right in front of the train.

More thought is need for an unambiguous multi-generational logo.
(07-24-2016, 07:22 AM)Canard Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 07:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Anyways, seems this one would be at least a bit more standard that the one chosen by the city.

Yeah - that was mostly what I was trying to get at.  If you're going to go non-standard, at least make it try to look good or applicable to what's actually here!  This is what Toronto's done with their streetcar stops:

[Image: pcc.gif]
Or go retro and use the PCC design.
I choo-choo-choose to like it!
1/1 - Sunday, July 24

These catpoles were put up on Saturday afternoon.

Looking up Francis, from King.

I wonder where this came from?

Pulling rails around the corner at Allen/King (from being stored on Caroline, at Freemont). If you're wondering why they're pulling from the East, it's because they had to pull them further down Allen, then go back onto King, because of the yellow building there. See video, here.

Seagram/Waterloo Park/Laurier station.
If everything was all done and finished, that last photo would make an EXCELLENT promotional shot for Ion. Damn, that makes the rails look sexy.

That sidewalk in front of Kaufman is awful, and it's going to be extremely expensive to fix it in the future. It's mind-boggling that they didn't narrow the rest of the roadway.

Soon enough, with the transit hub and other projects near King/Victoria, foot traffic will increase and it will become dangerous in addition to being a terrible experience.
How would you like the view out the windows of those Kaufman condos?