Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The curved track between Stirling and Kent is looking good!

Some sections still need to be poured, though.

The EB car traffic is now crossing the tracks at Borden, allowing the rest of the EB track to be constructed.

The "missing sections with pipes" are where the ground wire is connected to complete the traction power loop. They were wiring that in last week.
They have installed the arms on the gates at the Columbia Street crossing. The new lights are still covered though.
(07-18-2016, 04:38 AM)Canard Wrote: The "missing sections with pipes" are where the ground wire is connected to complete the traction power loop. They were wiring that in last week.

Thanks!  Definitely was not obvious to me, but I haven't studied these systems so much ...
(07-18-2016, 10:32 AM)timc Wrote: They have installed the arms on the gates at the Columbia Street crossing. The new lights are still covered though.

I could never understand how exactly in a country where 1.5m fences are needed to keep pedestrians safe from trains, train crossings on roads have no arms. 

In Germany pretty much all train crossings seem to have arms. Even the tiniest, remotest ones.
The standards are changing. When new lines are built, more stringent safety requirements come into effect. Ie, ion.
(07-18-2016, 03:25 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 10:32 AM)timc Wrote: They have installed the arms on the gates at the Columbia Street crossing. The new lights are still covered though.

I could never understand how exactly in a country where 1.5m fences are needed to keep pedestrians safe from trains, train crossings on roads have no arms. 

In Germany pretty much all train crossings seem to have arms. Even the tiniest, remotest ones.

Unless they're not level crossings at all, which is pretty common in Europe.

Trams don't seem to operate under the same rules as trains. They run mixed with all sorts of traffic in urban areas in Zurich, although there are arms where they run faster near the airport.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I noticed the rolling going on at Erb/Caroline... That is a really, really good sign. Big Grin You know what comes next!
We saw the crew welding track at King & Francis today while we were out for a walk, and my friend got a recording. It's amazing how quickly they're able to position the rails, make a weld, and set up again for the next one.

That's awesome!! Thank you!!
(07-18-2016, 06:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I noticed the rolling going on at Erb/Caroline... That is a really, really good sign. Big Grin You know what comes next!

Yeah; The rocking!      \m/ >_< \m/

And over in Kitchener, where King Street runs from east to west ...

Charles Street cat poles, near Madison.  The remaining EB rails between Cedar and Madison were also getting welded this morning.

Finalizing the concrete forms between Stirling and Kent.  Only two sections remain to be poured.

Charles now properly graded and rolled between Borden and Ottawa (although the Ottawa intersection itself is not ready yet).

Cat poles and boulevard with grass on Borden.

Stunning photos, thanks Tom! It was an absolutely beautiful sunrise this morning.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's happening too fast!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »