Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I did not realize that local construction crews were such delicate flowers. I would like to say that I'm shocked and appalled that people would be so graceless as to insult and harass them, but I find it has become very difficult to be surprised by low behaviour.

They're human beings, not "delicate flowers".  Treat them with respect is all I'm asking. A smile or a wave goes a long way.
I talked to one of the workers briefly this afternoon, when taking a photo of the driveway at Full Circle with my phone. He really was quite defensive about all the work, even though I only said that I just want to take a photo. I can certainly believe that they'll get rants from a small but vocal minority of people.
(07-06-2016, 12:58 PM)KevinL Wrote: One thing to add to tomh's great summary above - the road approach from Queen to the embedded track has indeed been cut back and the asphalt re-laid at a lower angle.

Here it is:

And it's almost right:

A couple more, to compliment Tom's post:

Iain, I'll compliment you on your complement of photos, but no compliments for using "compliment" on the complementary photos above! Wink
(07-06-2016, 07:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I did not realize that local construction crews were such delicate flowers.  I would like to say that I'm shocked and appalled that people would be so graceless as to insult and harass them, but I find it has become very difficult to be surprised by low behaviour.

It is not about being delicate.  People like to take pride in their work. A little positive acknowledgement for a job well don't is a natural human need.  Further more, I spoke with someone who's husband works for the region as a road engineer. He drives around in his pick up truck and every day gets something thrown at him or spit at.  That is how bad and sad it is.  I totally agree that a simple thumbs up would be a great idea.

(07-06-2016, 09:58 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 07:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I did not realize that local construction crews were such delicate flowers.  I would like to say that I'm shocked and appalled that people would be so graceless as to insult and harass them, but I find it has become very difficult to be surprised by low behaviour.

It is not about being delicate.  People like to take pride in their work. A little positive acknowledgement for a job well don't is a natural human need.  Further more, I spoke with someone who's husband works for the region as a road engineer. He drives around in his pick up truck and every day gets something thrown at him or spit at.  That is how bad and sad it is.  I totally agree that a simple thumbs up would be a great idea.

I do think this was an insensitive comment.  I know someone who lives on Ottawa street (who may very well be here) and the stories they tell of how the construction workers are treated, well lets just say, I have a little bit less respect for people, and its worth while to suggest here that those of us who appreciate the work they do be at least 1/10 as vocal about it as those who threaten, and in some cases assault the people who are working hard on our infrastructure.
I find it appalling that anyone working anywhere would have to face constant ridicule. Work place harassment can be a very damaging experience.
Another indirect road closure coming up: Weber to close at Dutton for 3 weeks http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6756...ree-weeks/
I think the reason these workers might suffer more abuse than others is because the public they are dealing with is a lot of cases in cars (though obviously not all- for instance, the guy who threatened some workers with a knife wasn’t!). Various levels of road rage are not uncommon. I’ve heard and experienced abuse on the road that I couldn’t imagine hearing in, say, a coffee shop. It’s easy to hurl an epithet (or an object…) at a worker who you think is the face of all of those delays you’re experiencing, when you feel relatively anonymous in your vehicle and are about to speed away. And, properly, when things are going well drivers are focused on driving, and not on trying to get workers’ attention to shout positive comments at them.

On bike and foot, I’ve had both positive and negative interactions with workers. At lower speeds, it’s easier to engage on both sides to ask a question or make a comment. Even when I think they’re being a bit rude or abrupt, they’re not going to swear at someone who is right there, and likewise I’m not going to be too aggressive towards someone whose face I can clearly see who is only a few feet away. I think the temptation to say whatever one wants is pretty great when it’s from a car window and your victim doesn’t even have the opportunity to retort.

I’m surprised that anyone accustomed to working on road construction would even find the hostility noteworthy any more. To me, it seems sadly logical. Just another variation on road rage.
(07-07-2016, 08:05 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I think the reason these workers might suffer more abuse than others is because the public they are dealing with is a lot of cases in cars (though obviously not all- for instance, the guy who threatened some workers with a knife wasn’t!). Various levels of road rage are not uncommon. I’ve heard and experienced abuse on the road that I couldn’t imagine hearing in, say, a coffee shop. It’s easy to hurl an epithet (or an object…) at a worker who you think is the face of all of those delays you’re experiencing, when you feel relatively anonymous in your vehicle and are about to speed away.

Sadly ... while out for photos this morning I observed an incident of drive-through rage, someone yelling and ranting loudly at the person in front of her in the Tim Horton's drive-through (because other person was not fast enough, it appears).  Does being inside a vehicle make this behaviour more likely?
Queen and Charles, again.  Sidewalks being poured at the intersection in preparation for the opening.

"North-east" corner already poured and curing.

"North-west" getting ready to be poured.

Further south on Charles, lots of activity again ...

Getting ready to pour the concrete pad between the two tracks (is there a name for this?) at Cedar.

In front of Cameron Heights, the concrete strip next to the curb now poured ...

... although someone stepped in it before it cured! Sad

Between Kent and Borden, the forms are almost ready for the concrete for the "EB" track to be poured.

(07-07-2016, 10:14 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Getting ready to pour the concrete pad between the two tracks (is there a name for this?) at Cedar.

Median?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »