Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Of course she blames 'a strike at Bombardier' for the delays...

(06-28-2016, 02:25 PM)GtwoK Wrote: [Image: zGE4h40.png]

But... why? Tracks done. Traffic poles are in. Apart from stringing catenary, this intersection is train-ready! Or so I thought.

Actually... could this be because of the hydro burying set for Caroline? Will they need to dig up this intersection to take wire hanging across the road and put it under the track?
(06-29-2016, 03:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Actually... could this be because of the hydro burying set for Caroline? Will they need to dig up this intersection to take wire hanging across the road and put it under the track?

For four months?
Squeal!  Track going in on Northfield!!

This is what it looked like on Saturday:

They've started working on the box that carries the creek through uptown (wasn't this the cause of substantial delay on Caroline - hopefully it isn't as problematic and they learned and can apply some lessons):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
From this article: Region, city to move ahead with planned road work in uptown Waterloo

Quote:The region said Wednesday that a large part of LRT work will be done by November despite delays caused by the discovery of corduroy roads on King Street. 
The expected schedule is as follows: 
• Tracks are expected to be finished by October
• Sidewalks, curbs and asphalt should be done by November
• Underground utilities are expected to be finished in September. 
Some work will continue into December including overhead wires for trains and the Waterloo Town Square Ion stop, but the region says this work will not impede traffic.

That's surprisingly good news for Uptown. I hope that's what happens.

As for the rest of the article, that's for a different thread Smile
(06-29-2016, 05:53 PM)Canard Wrote: Squeal!  Track going in on Northfield!!

That's one brave cyclist.

Yesterday they installed curbs on King in front of the Kaufam Lofts.

This morning, a backhoe was tearing them up.

(06-30-2016, 09:46 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Yesterday they installed curbs on King in front of the Kaufam Lofts.

This morning, a backhoe was tearing them up.

Perhaps someone made a mistake.

Sounds like a good time to catch it.
Speaking of mistakes the oiler on Charles and Ontario still looks like it's in the wrong place.
LOTS of work on Charles this morning - concrete was poured west from Benton, and the final track welds were finished between Queen and Ontario. Queen might be fully open by early next week.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A while back, somebody posted this historic photo looking down King Street, from somewhere between Allen and Union, toward Kitchener:

For fun, I'd been waiting until tracks were installed here, so its as at about the same stage...

1/2 - Sunday, June 26

The future Cedar stop, on Charles. Just beyond here, there's still one big section without track (~100 m), and another shorter one, just in front of Cameron Heights. Once those are in, that's it for track installation on Charles.

The station at Borden & Charles, right by the Tim Hortons. Track on the Northbound side is embedded up to the platform; Southbound side still needs a pour.

Looking West on Ottawa, from near City Cafe.

Looking West on Ottawa, from just past Courtland.

Mill/Ottawa intersection. Lots of work has already gone on here, but lots still to do.
2/2 - Sunday, June 26

Ottawa/Mill area, looking over toward where the Southbound track will be coming from, off Borden. Still nothing really going on here. I'm anxious to see how the track will slope here, down toward Borden.

Looking back up Ottawa.

Close-up of an attachment point on an OCS/Catpole on Borden. A little while ago, someone had commented that they thought these were rusting already. I didn't see any rust on any of them, but they're plated with a colour that might have been confused with rust, I suppose.

The platform edge at the Willis Way stop on Caroline has been fixed up for a while now, but I hadn't gotten around to taking a shot of it. There you go - all fixed up.

Wednesday, June 29

In just a few days, almost all of the main switches to the yard track have gone in at the OMSF. I can't keep up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »