Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The fence is separating the temporary car path from the pedestrian walkway. The only way to cross from Caroline into the parking lot is at the East end of the parking lot right now, because of the ditch where tracks will be installed. So cars have to drive along the building to get to the parking lot entrance.

From the CBC:

Region considers raising development fees to pay for LRT
Townships argue that rural developers shouldn't have to pay for a service they will never use

Increased development fees don't seem like an inappropriate way to help fund the Ion. And I find the argument on the part of the township mayors that they will "never use" Ion to be not particularly compelling- surely most of their constituents work in one of the three cities, and will benefit from decreased congestion. And all ratepayers will benefit if we can avoid the cost of new roads.
A quick look along the hydro corridor - catpole bases are in, fence posts are up, rails and ballast in supply. Looks like it's all ductwork for now, then the tracks can be built.

[Image: YN0steE.jpg]

[Image: 7dIF2WW.jpg]
If we had to build the original 500 lane-km of extra roads we'd expect in the no-LRT scenario, would the cost of those roads have been area-rated to not affect townships?
(05-19-2016, 01:49 PM)MidTowner Wrote: From the CBC:

Region considers raising development fees to pay for LRT
Townships argue that rural developers shouldn't have to pay for a service they will never use

Increased development fees don't seem like an inappropriate way to help fund the Ion. And I find the argument on the part of the township mayors that they will "never use" Ion to be not particularly compelling- surely most of their constituents work in one of the three cities, and will benefit from decreased congestion. And all ratepayers will benefit if we can avoid the cost of new roads.

To be fair development fees are for growth related projects and is from new development. There is a bit of a disconnect between building a new chicken coop or silo in Linwood, St Jacobs or Ayr and saying x$ of dollars will go towards the LRT due to the growth. Additionally the townships already have certain disadvantages in attracting new non agricultural development and employment.

As for the people who live in the towns, they represent about 12% of the regions population. Once you widdle away people who work in the townships, don't work in KW and work in the surrounding area it does get to a much smaller population that actually enters the cities, of those people there will be some that work on the outskirts vs the middle of the city and wouldn't see the benefits of the LRT, or if they do it is a few cars an hour off the road, nothing substantial.

Guelph has more than twice the population of the townships
(05-19-2016, 02:26 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If we had to build the original 500 lane-km of extra roads we'd expect in the no-LRT scenario, would the cost of those roads have been area-rated to not affect townships?

Depends if it was a regional road or a city road. In the end the city of Kitchener and Waterloo see the benefits in increased property values and increased development and the taxes that come along with that the townships would not enjoy.
Do the townships cover all their share of regional road expenses? Or all the other regional services they receive? I don't know one way or the other but it might end up that the cities of the regions are paying money for things in the townships most will never use. In aggregate we are all paying for stuff we'll never use directly but still see some benefits from in one way or another.

(05-19-2016, 04:06 PM)clasher Wrote: Do the townships cover all their share of regional road expenses? Or all the other regional services they receive? I don't know one way or the other but it might end up that the cities of the regions are paying money for things in the townships most will never use. In aggregate we are all paying for stuff we'll never use directly but still see some benefits from in one way or another.
The rates are the same except for GRT and Libraries. The region provides libraries for the townships and they have development fees that pay for it, the cities have fees for GRT that the townships don't pay for.
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/doingB...OCHURE.PDF
Apparently the mayors of North Dumfries and Wellesley haven't really read up on how development fees work. In fact, new construction in the townships pays ZERO development fees toward transit improvements.
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/doingB...6Final.pdf

Cry wolf first, check for wolf later ...
(05-19-2016, 04:28 PM)darts Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 04:06 PM)clasher Wrote: Do the townships cover all their share of regional road expenses? Or all the other regional services they receive? I don't know one way or the other but it might end up that the cities of the regions are paying money for things in the townships most will never use. In aggregate we are all paying for stuff we'll never use directly but still see some benefits from in one way or another.
The rates are the same except for GRT and Libraries. The region provides libraries for the townships and they have development fees that pay for it, the cities have fees for GRT that the townships don't pay for.
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/doingB...OCHURE.PDF

I see that's for development charges but they don't cover ongoing maintenance of infrastructure. I am just wondering if the townships' share of regional taxes covers their share of the infrastructure or if the cities are in fact subsidizing it.
(05-19-2016, 04:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Apparently the mayors of North Dumfries and Wellesley haven't really read up on how development fees work.  In fact, new construction in the townships pays ZERO development fees toward transit improvements.
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/doingB...6Final.pdf

Cry wolf first, check for wolf later ...

From the article linked one of the councillors said they wanted to open up a discussion about adding a development charge for transit to the townships, so they aren't commenting out of the blue.
There go those damn architecture students again, giving me the heart attacks:

(From: http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin...or-web.pdf)
That's a Toronto Flexity Outlook (aka New Streetcar) painted blue, if anyone missed it.

Yup. Compared to our trains, the nose cone is ugly as sin!

Confirmation came today that Bombardier is moving production of the FLEXITY Freedom order (our trains and Eglinton Crosstown) to Millhaven:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on...e30101340/

This frees up Thunder Bay to focus strictly on Toronto's FLEXITY Outlook order and not get bogged down by the Freedom build.

Frames for both will come from La Pocatiere in Quebec.

This is good news/bad news. Good because I get to drive by the whole facility/test track whenever I visit my folks. Smile Bad because it means our trains are a lot further away than 2 months. Sad
I read that report wondering how it's going to help if the problem is, as alleged, faulty parts from Mexico.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »