Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
In that case the lower bits would end up at about 4", which is a pretty typical curb height, and should be OK for emergency vehicles, I think.

10" - 1.5" = 8.5"... well over 200 mm. No ambulance is going over that!
(05-07-2016, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote: 10" - 1.5" = 8.5"... well over 200 mm.  No ambulance is going over that!

Not the (estimated) 10" parts, no.  But Markster estimated other parts at about 6", which would end up at about 4" once the final coat of asphalt is in.
When will the final pavement go down, do you think?
Wasn't the first coat late last fall -- or does my memory fail me (again)? If it was, we should see the final coat sometime in the fall this year, I think.

Construction along King St. North in Waterloo.  The second corduroy road is just beyond this lump of dirt.

Corduroy Road.

Corduroy Road.

Construction at the Conestoga platform stop.

Massive TPSS in between the Conestoga platform and CIBC.  I wish they'd somehow involved local artists in coming up with a unique mosiac or pattern motif on each of these to pretty them up a bit.

Here's a shot of the Northfield platform, with the OMSF in the distance.

In the foreground, a crossover to permit LRV's on the Southbound track to cut over momentarily to the Northbound track, to get into the OMSF. The switch further way, and the track on the right is for the freight line which continues North to Elmira.  It's interesting to note here that the switches for freight are of the movable frog type, while the switches that will only be used by ion's trains are much more basic/lightweight.

LRV's will cut off of the Northbound track here into the OMSF.

A close up of the track switch heading into the OMSF - non-movable frog type.

The new crossing gates installed at Quiet Place and Old Albert trail crossings.

Crossing at Old Albert, behind Albert McCormic Arena.

This is a view North from Quiet Place, with the Albert crossing in the distance. This is going to be one of my favourite views once the line is open, with LRV's flying along this corridor at 70 km/h.

Pedestrian/trail crossing at Quiet Place.

Waterloo Park/Seagram/Laurier station

Switch gear has been installed at Seagram for the gauntlet track.

Because I'm a mechanical designer, seeing the components in these mechanisms excites me.  Smile  The cylindrical device on the right is a floating coupling or moment compensator, like a FESTO FK-..., and is used to take up small misalignments in moving elements.

Work to install a half-crossover in Waterloo Park is ongoing this weekend.

Here, crews are preparing to lift the movable frog chunk of the switch onto the line. This switch is for freight only, to move from the SB track to the NB track for a moment before heading East along its dedicated line out of Waterloo.

Lifting the biggest chunk, with the Perimeter Institute in the background.

Lifting the biggest chunk, with the Perimeter Institute in the background.

Making some final adjustments to the concrete ties before setting the frog in place.

State of the corridor through Waterloo Town Square.

The "whoops" at the Willis Way stop on Caroline - the interference was 50 mm, from what I understand.

I bet when they re-pour this, it'll look complete and no one will be able to tell anything happened.

King at William.

From King at Union, looking South.

The crews smoked through this intersection!  For sure this will open on time for next weekend.  Hydro was out working on the poles on both sides of the intersection, just out of frame.

No more corduroy road in uptown Waterloo.
What an update! Thanks for all the photos, Canard!
Measure twice, pour once! or something like that...

Wow, great photos! Thanks!
It's measure twice, cut once. I'm pretty sure the process went something like measure - pour - measure - cut, so basically by the book!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »