Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
Thanks for the tip!

Jane Mitchel just tweeted a photo of the first deck pour.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From this afternoon. Two metres deep! Thanks <a href="https://twitter.com/KenSeiling">@KenSeiling</a> for the pic from staff <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrlrt?src=hash">#wrlrt</a> <a href="https://t.co/o8FTbx61Ao">pic.twitter.com/o8FTbx61Ao</a></p>&mdash; Jane Mitchell (@janemitchell) <a href="https://twitter.com/janemitchell/status/706306645173911553">March 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

Down, down, down...

Surprised not to see it mentioned here yet, but The Dome™ was coming down today! Or at least, the sides of it were. The ends are completely open once again.

Someone more brave than I: go get some pics of our new bridge Big Grin
(04-08-2016, 06:06 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Surprised not to see it mentioned here yet, but The Dome™ was coming down today! Or at least, the sides of it were. The ends are completely open once again.

Someone more brave than I: go get some pics of our new bridge Big Grin

You beat me by about five minutes!
A view of the new span (banana choo-choo for scale):

This morning the construction site assimilated the lane and parking lot between Waterloo and Duke, presumably to begin work on the eastern approach.
Spiffy!!

I s'pose the white tarp covered areas are the platforms themselves, while the sunken area is the gutter for the trains? Looks a bit narrow to get 2 trains in there, isn't it? Is this bridge not supposed to accommodate for a future 3 rail lines, like the Weber bridge does?
(04-11-2016, 08:06 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Looks a bit narrow to get 2 trains in there, isn't it? Is this bridge not supposed to accommodate for a future 3 rail lines, like the Weber bridge does?

There doesn't seem to be any public information about the overpass design. The contract just says “grade separation to be designed and constructed by project company.” I'm sure the Region knows and Metrolinx knows but neither are telling the peasants.

(04-11-2016, 08:06 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Looks a bit narrow to get 2 trains in there, isn't it?

I think it's a two-track span. There's no place to get a more direct view without trespassing (or getting off my ass and taking a long lens over to the Duke crossing) but by matching against things like the ladder rungs and railing height I estimate 20+ feet between ‘platforms’.

I think even more than 20' -- I believe those are 4'x8' sheets of plywood in front of the construction worker on the bottom left. Based on that, it should be 8-10m between the platforms.
Is that a crack? Looking between the 1st and 2nd arches, just above the red box, in what looks to be some part of the deck at the end.
A bit of Polyfilla will make that good as new!
I suspect it's just an illusion created by whatever materials are on that wall.
I just wanted to say thank you very much kps for these photos from this awesome vantage point!

(04-13-2016, 04:52 PM)Canard Wrote: I just wanted to say thank you very much kps for these photos from this awesome vantage point!

You're welcome. There's a second business-hours-accessible location — the stairwell at the southwest corner of the building — that until now just overlooked canvas, but might provide some good views of the rest of the overpass work.

BTW, I usually upload at around 1000px high, though the forum view scales it down; right-click open for the larger size.
I think it only scales down if your resolution is set lower than that; on my Mac, your photo shows properly on the forum as the same size as it does if I right-click and open in a new window.

Confirmed - I just resized my browser window and the image dynamically resizes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »