Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I wonder why they didn't just expropriate the parking lot from Cadillac Fairview?

(03-19-2016, 10:02 PM)Square Wrote: I wonder why they didn't just expropriate the parking lot from Cadillac Fairview?

I'm guessing: Cadillac Fairview would put up a big legal fight (i.e. delays), and the property might have a higher market value.
I don't really spend much time in that area of town, but wouldn't Wilson be more central to both sides of the retail strip along Fairview, as well as the neighbourhood to the north?
Does this mean that the LRT Terminal at Fairway will directly connect and be within steps of the Bus Terminal?
That's right! It would have been, anyway, even before this change. The station stays where it always going to be but the bus platforms now flip to the other side.
(03-19-2016, 10:56 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 10:02 PM)Square Wrote: I wonder why they didn't just expropriate the parking lot from Cadillac Fairview?

I'm guessing: Cadillac Fairview would put up a big legal fight (i.e. delays), and the property might have a higher market value.

Cadillac Fairview seems to be on a "marking their territory" binge. Every one of their malls has been renamed with "CF" in front so that even if it's called Fairview, you know who's in charge.
I had never heard of "Cadillac" before this thread.

They just rebranded. They used to just be 'Cadillac Fairview' and they own a lot of major malls (Eaton Centre, Shops at Don Mills, Sherway Gardens, Rideau Centre etc. etc.)

Now they added a weird 'CF' in front of everything they own, oh good old corporate rebranding strategies.
Wasn't it always just "Fairview Mall"? I remember going to it when I was a kid and I thought it was always just "Fairview". Is this Cadilliac thing new?
It's always been Fairview Park Mall, and Cadillac Fairview has owned it since it opened in the 60's. The nice thing about CF is that their mall gift cards can be used at any of their properties.
(03-20-2016, 05:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Wasn't it always just "Fairview Mall"? I remember going to it when I was a kid and I thought it was always just "Fairview". Is this Cadilliac thing new?

Cadillac-Fairview is the largest income real estate owner in Canada. When I see "C-F" I see money! 

The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan (OTPP) purchased C-F in 1999 and have enjoyed amazing returns on this in it's real estate portfolio inside and outside of Canada.

Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Buying Cadillac-Fairview for $2.3 Billion (1999)

As a proud "partial owner" of OTPP I am pleased with their ROI and pension investments.
Heh, "CF" to me is Cedar Fair, one of the big theme park operators in the US. They also now own and run Canada's Wonderland. Smile
I think the most common meaning of CF for most people would be the disease...

Or CompactFlash, for those of us old enough to remember their "first" Digltal Camera! Mine, a Canon PowerShot 350.

Exciting news in the latest ion email update, which just arrived:

-The second TPSS will arrive sometime in the first week of April, to be installed at Bearanger.
-Track installation on King in midtown will begin March 23!
-Track installation has (finally!) started on Charles, from Benton to Cedar. The first few rails have been pulled into place on the Northbound track, extending South from the completed Benton/Charles intersection.
It looks like Charles/Ontario will be reopening as soon as today. The coverings are off the tracks and the Jersey barriers out of the road; they were doing some last cleanup when I passed by at about 11:30.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »