Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The January 8th Update says the Erb/Caroline work will restart in the Spring. "◦Erb/Caroline is open. In the spring, crews will return to the area to complete the necessary relocation and upgrading of underground utilities, install the LRT track and build the rest of the ION infrastructure (i.e. poles and the overhead catenary system that powers the train)"

TPSS install happening now!

Argh, this is killing me that I can't be there, but not only did the TPSS get installed, they're actually laying track today and the first permanent track switch just went in today!!

https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...6667814913
In the model it is interesting to see the potential of what could be in some of those spots, where as in the one picture related to the Victoria Park stop, there is no sign of City Centre phase 2.
(03-06-2016, 06:21 PM)rangersfan Wrote: In the model it is interesting to see the potential of what could be in some of those spots, where as in the one picture related to the Victoria Park stop, there is no sign of City Centre phase 2.

I think the brief for the concepts was to project out only twenty years, which would explain that......
I forget if this has ever been brought up but is track for Ion being equipped with the catenary-free power buried loops? Is this technology inferior in performance? You would think if the performance was equal aesthetically the catenary free option would be preferred.
ION will be traditional catenary, and the main reason is there's no standard for under ground power supply. If you put in Bombardier underground power you're forever locked into buying Bombardier vehicles, because no one else makes vehicles compatible with it. Pretty risky proposition for infrastructure that's supposed to last 100 years. There isn't even a guarantee that Bombardier will make compatible vehicles in 20 years, given underground power hasn't really taken off.

Page 200! While the naysayers may dominate The Record's comment section, ION is definitely a hot topic here. And we're still a long way away from operations.
Thanks taylortbb for the explanation.
I saw this shed when I was driving down Seagram today. What is it?

[Image: GIj56dE.jpg]
Some more photos just before the TPSS was installed, on our way out of town this morning.

Getting ready for the big lift.

Long way up.

Checking in on our way back, here's the installed TPSS:

The tie dragon was at work today, too, installing more concrete sleepers into and out of the very first permanent track switch.  This switch is where freight trains will branch off to Elmira off of the Southbound LRT track. The switch is just off to the right.

Grandlinq should probably have Canard on the payroll...
(03-06-2016, 10:03 PM)timc Wrote: I saw this shed when I was driving down Seagram today. What is it?

[Image: GIj56dE.jpg]

I think these are power for the crossing gates.

I believe it's a signalling control box - more for the ATP and in-cab signalling system for the trains than the crossing gates, but the two are somewhat related.

I can't believe how huge the TPSS is; I wonder what people will think when these start showing up downtown. I suspect there will be a lot of "...oh." 's.
A whole set of new canvases for the graffiti set.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »