Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Do we have any indication right now of when Victoria is going to be closed for track work? GTwoK is right that it will be a new level of disruption. Victoria’s closure will have impacts all over KW.

We somehow survived the full closure of Victoria/Weber!

Expect Joseph to become very congested.
No doubt we’ll survive the closure of Victoria. I expect it will cause significant delays for a lot of people.

Joseph will be busy all right. Probably the few residential streets before Joseph, too, as smarty pants try to avoid what will be a delay turning onto Joseph from Victoria. Park to Water I bet will be popular for rat-runners.
There was a bypass at Victoria/Weber.
(02-11-2016, 05:02 PM)Canard Wrote: There was a bypass at Victoria/Weber.

Not for 6 weeks near the end of the construction.

How long did Charles/Benton take? 8 weeks? Early September to early Novemberish? King/Victoria should be about the same complexity.
I continually have wished that Wellington would extend to Park. But not with the damn seed company in the way, it won't.

Side note: I find it funny that Wellington St S is only a single block long. Looks like that wanted to make it longer, but didn't. Was it longer at some point, and demolished?

EDIT: ^^^^ I don't think King / Vic will be as complicated as Benton / Charles - It doesn't seem like the intersection will need t be too reconfigured, especially  with the track at Charles only needing to cross at the intersection, and then running alongside the road rather than down the middle. That being said, Benton / Charles also didnt require any  underground work along the length of the road (ie from Charles to Victoria here) before the intersection could reopen.
Wasn't King/Vic closed last summer or 2 summers ago for a few weeks with some utility movement? What happened to traffic then?

(02-11-2016, 05:17 PM)Markster Wrote: How long did Charles/Benton take? 8 weeks? Early September to early Novemberish?  King/Victoria should be about the same complexity.

Well, it all depends on what has to happen underground, and I don't think any of us are privy to that information. If it's all set to go underground? Sure, a couple of weeks to blast through the embedded track. If water and sewer mains have to move? Nightmare.
I assume this is FLEXITY Freedom, right?

It says up to 275 passengers, so I think the 7-car image is just Bombardier stock imagery, and Edmonton will actually have the same train sets as ION.
Uh, I think discussion about Edmonton's LRT vehicles might be better placed in the LRT vehicle thread

Let's keep this thread about our LRT
Noticed this morning that there were at least 5 dump trucks lined along Victoria, hence that mysterious 1-day road closure I reported yesterday. I'd assume that means there's some excavation going on!
(02-12-2016, 10:41 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed this morning that there were at least 5 dump trucks lined along Victoria, hence that mysterious 1-day road closure I reported yesterday. I'd assume that means there's some excavation going on!

See the King Street Underpass thread for photos and stuff. They'd already begun some excavation by early this morning.
Quite a large amount was excavated when I drove by around 2. Now's the fun part!

(02-12-2016, 05:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Quite a large amount was excavated when I drove by around 2. Now's the fun part!

I'll check it out when the weather warms up a little bit! Undecided

All in good fun. It was actually the ion Rapid Transit team that posted this on facebook yesterday.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »