Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking in Waterloo Region
(01-21-2016, 06:50 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Article in The Record talking about a long awaited parking garage for Uptown Waterloo, that will be delayed due to the city's ability to find a developer to help fund the project. No location has been decided.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/624182...years-away

Isn't the uptown parkade often half empty?

It's always a game. The Uptown parkade was intended to provide parking for people working in the Uptown area. However, with a wide selection of free parking, many workers chose to forego the cost of a parking pass and instead dodge the parking enforcement officers.

The Uptown core is always going to have a need for a certain degree of parking. Has anyone seen general figures for how much parking (paid/free; covered/outdoor etc) is ideal for a downtown area? For instance, if even half of a 100-person workplace's staff walk/bike/transit, that still means that there would be a need for 50 parking spots somewhere nearby.
(01-22-2016, 02:17 PM)nms Wrote: The Uptown core is always going to have a need for a certain degree of parking.  Has anyone seen general figures for how much parking (paid/free; covered/outdoor etc) is ideal for a downtown area?  For instance, if even half of a 100-person workplace's staff walk/bike/transit, that still means that there would be a need for 50 parking spots somewhere nearby.

There really can't be a single answer. It depends on a lot, especially on land value and the transportation system leading to the downtown, and there's a feedback cycle with those things. And while there have been a number of North American downtown that have improved as the amount of parking (created in the 60s and 70s) has gone down, I haven't heard of any that have hit some lower bound for reasonableness.
Waterloo has approved new parking (a garage?) in Uptown

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">$10M parking investment approved. <a href="https://twitter.com/WhaleyWaterloo">@WhaleyWaterloo</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/DianeLFreeman">@DianeLFreeman</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/bourkebrian">@bourkebrian</a> voted against. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/watbudget?src=hash">#watbudget</a></p>&mdash; Abigail Bimman (@AbigailCTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/AbigailCTV/status/696865296984965120">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
An "investment" eh? I wonder what kind of returns it will bring? I assume this will be on the former postal lands on Regina?
(02-09-2016, 11:28 AM)clasher Wrote: An "investment" eh? I wonder what kind of returns it will bring? I assume this will be on the former postal lands on Regina?

Certainly hope not! There were many, many proposals for mixed-use residential on par with 1Vic or City Centre there. To see that lot potentially become solely a parking fixture would be an utter, disgusting waste.
Maybe if a parking garage is built some of the land fronting Caroline can be opened to redevelopment?

For a sense of scale, the 504-spot Charles/Benton garage cost $15.2 million.
I don't know the politics behind city planning and whatnot, but how does something like a $10m parking garage get approved without prior public knowledge? Or even knowledge after the fact, considering it seems we still don't know where it is?
Apparently location is still TBD, they have only approved funding so far. Which certainly does appear to be within the scope of powers of the city council.
If there are no plans or site chosen, this could also mean that if, in the future, a developer pitches a proposal, the City could offer $10 million to add below-grade public parking to the site. I believe the debate over who would pay for additional underground parking on Willis Way is among the things that eliminated the recent hotel proposal there.
(02-09-2016, 09:52 PM)nms Wrote: If there are no plans or site chosen, this could also mean that if, in the future, a developer pitches a proposal, the City could offer $10 million to add below-grade public parking to the site.  I believe the debate over who would pay for additional underground parking on Willis Way is among the things that eliminated the recent hotel proposal there.

I like this option a lot.
(02-10-2016, 12:16 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(02-09-2016, 09:52 PM)nms Wrote: If there are no plans or site chosen, this could also mean that if, in the future, a developer pitches a proposal, the City could offer $10 million to add below-grade public parking to the site.  I believe the debate over who would pay for additional underground parking on Willis Way is among the things that eliminated the recent hotel proposal there.

I like this option a lot.

I do too, minus that little problem I seem to keep hearing about, of the difficulty going further underground in parts of uptown.

(02-10-2016, 10:05 AM)zanate Wrote: I do too, minus that little problem I seem to keep hearing about, of the difficulty going further underground in parts of uptown.

Well, the part that I care about is that it's in a mixed-use building. If the parking is above ground like in 1 Victoria, that's OK too.
I think the parking garage on Charles was extremely well-executed. It looks attractive, and provided some new retail spaces. Waterloo would do well aiming for something like that Uptown.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »