Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
Ah ha. The dome is going to be bigger than that first row of footings would suggest:

oh thats why its 2M! a double dome!
It's not a dome-within-a-dome, it's a dome that's right-sized for the area it's on top of. The large portion likely accommodates some vertical machines and work around where they'll be working on what will become the actual bridge, the small portion seems to be only over the non-bridge end of the tracks.
[Image: 24571171595_e5d896ae38_k.jpg]
More progress on the dome.
Great vantage point, Brian!

I am so curious about the concrete foundations that the dome is resting on.  I can't imagine that they poured those just for the dome and will jackhammer that all up later!  I suppose building a rectangular form and pouring concrete into it isn't too difficult...
(01-24-2016, 09:24 AM)Canard Wrote: I am so curious about the concrete foundations that the dome is resting on.  I can't imagine that they poured those just for the dome and will jackhammer that all up later!  I suppose building a rectangular form and pouring concrete into it isn't too difficult...

There's not really any other way to keep a dome/tent that big on the ground without some anchoring it to the ground. The wind could easily carry the whole thing away if it wasn't bolted to the ground.
(01-24-2016, 09:24 AM)Canard Wrote: Great vantage point, Brian!

I am so curious about the concrete foundations that the dome is resting on.  I can't imagine that they poured those just for the dome and will jackhammer that all up later!  I suppose building a rectangular form and pouring concrete into it isn't too difficult...

Maybe they have plans to use those concrete foundations for a permanent dome over the future GO/VIA station platform as shown in some of the previous renderings that they have shown.

(01-24-2016, 09:52 AM)clasher Wrote: There's not really any other way to keep a dome/tent that big on the ground without some anchoring it to the ground. The wind could easily carry the whole thing away if it wasn't bolted to the ground.

I understand that - but my point was more wether or not the concrete poured has a purpose after the Dome comes down (i.e., part of the final design of the project), or if it was just temporary and will be removed later in the year.
The ion social media team have a bunch of photos on various outlets (Facebook, twitter and the email update) showing the dome arches must now be complete, as they span the full length of the temporary foundations that support them.

I'm also wondering: perhaps we've misunderstood the true purpose of the dome. While it seems most of us think they have started too late to build it, and its usefulness may be short-lived - it could very well be that the dome's primary function is to control the temperature (ie, heat the interior) to aid in the curing of the concrete which has yet to be poured. Excavation works probably don't require the shelter. So, if that's the case, the dome is probably right on time (or maybe even a bit early).
That's a fair point. I guess if it really is just about creating the best climate for curing the concrete I suppose its usefulness will extend well into the Spring.

I guess its also a good insurance policy. Removes the risk of a crappy Spring causing significant delays.
Having done a lot of heavy construction work outdoors myself, working under a dome will allow more work to get done just by avoid stuff getting buried in the snow and machines freezing to the ground. Concrete can be poured in the winter the mix just needs to be adjusted and certain protocols followed. Doing the work under a heated dome probably just allows them to use standard cement mixtures and procedures that might allow them to make up for some lost time. I don't know much about concrete but I've seen it poured in the winter with various means of insulating it and keeping the moisture present.

I also imagine the dome footings will be removed, they have the anchor bolts engineered for the dome on them and modifying that to work with the final bridge might be more time and labour than removing it and pouring new concrete in its place, if there is even concrete at that location.
I wonder if the dome structure can be repurposed for anything after this winter. Like, what's the plan for it? Are the arch sections a standard size out of a catalogue? Could they be used for another arena or something? Probably wishful thinking...
They actually almost certainly are a standardized size. I've seen very similar structures used as hangars or storage structures. One particularly prominent example of this in the region is the temporary market building they put up at the St. Jacobs market after the fire destroyed the old one.

A dome like that built on some concrete walls would make an awesome barn.
I thought I'd read the dome was rented.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »