Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
They could always just — god forbid — make everyone use Halls Lane for that.

(11-20-2015, 07:27 PM)GtwoK Wrote: King from Wellington to Green has switched the NB lane to be on the paved half of road. Assuming this is to start the SB half / do the catpoles.

And thus comes the end of offroading it when trying to reach local businesses along the route. Despite it being terrible for my car, I did enjoy the time I drove from Cameron to Stirling on Charles and it felt like I was going over a steep embankment at a few points.
Uh oh...
https://twitter.com/newstalk1010/status/...7998505985
[Image: updb2US.png]
Without any info or source to back that up, I call BS on that.  I can just as easily tweet "Bombardier on-track for on-time delivery!"

Just typical media fear-mongering.

We already know the first train is about 2 months behind - the Region/RT team was very open about that. The first delivery is also almost a year away, so there's lots of time to pull up the schedule.
They're just reporting that very same 2 month delay. It's behind schedule.
If the trains are late, we can set up a system of pallet trains to use the completed rails.
The TTC has put together a beautiful video showing off their new Leslie Storage and Maintenance Facility for their Bombardier FLEXITY Outlook LFLRV's. Much of the same interior hardware design is similar to what ion's OMSF is being fitted out with - like the 2nd floor mezzanines for accessing the roof-mounted electrical hardware, centre pit for bogie and undercarriage access, and wheel grinding equipment. It's a beautiful facility!

Having what few remaining open roads closed today for the parade makes today's photo update pretty light.

Embedded track at Borden crossing Courtland is compete.  Should be open within the next day or so.

Not much happening along the spur between Borden and Mill.

Mill/Ottawa.  Nothing going on here.  I wondered why Ottawa had been closed for a month or more, until I walked along it back toward Courtland and saw that all the homes look to have had temporary connections made.  That's probably why it is closed.

One of the 3 sets of tracks now at Northfield.

Looking South from Northfield at the OMSF.

I think the Mill/Ottawa intersection istelf won't get much work this year (with the possible exception of the northbound track) as they need to reconfigure the freight track and add the southbound track.

That project is set to completely realign Mill, and close its through route to replace it with the slip road and force through traffic to jog on Ottawa. I can't see a project that involved getting started until next year, at this point.
This is maybe really pessimistic of me, but I'm wondering how long it will be before the first snowplough comes down Benton and jams the leading edge of it's blade into the Southbound track. Sad
(11-22-2015, 03:01 PM)Canard Wrote: This is maybe really pessimistic of me, but I'm wondering how long it will be before the first snowplough comes down Benton and jams the leading edge of it's blade into the Southbound track.  Sad

Why is this a concern in Benton and not in any of the other crossings? Does the track stand above the pavement there in some unique way?
Nah, just picturing a snowplough coming down the big hill there and it jamming in since it's going from downhill-to-horizontal, so the blade meets the ground at a sharper angle. Was laying in bed last night thinking about it and it kept me up for a while. Big Grin

Seagram crossing is going to be rough, too.

Do snowplows have problems with regular rail crossings? I've never really noticed.
I don't think a plow will have a problem with a rail crossing unless the blade hapens to be at the EXACT angle as the track. Local plows will now have to be more watchful, perhaps, but I doubt it's a major concern.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »