Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
[Image: 4xspn0W.png]

I hope this hasn't been posted yet either, but it looks like an increase in bike coaches to Kitchener and longer trains as well.
local cambridge weirdo

(10-04-2023, 08:02 PM)bravado Wrote: I hope this hasn't been posted yet either, but it looks like an increase in bike coaches to Kitchener and longer trains as well.

I don't know if this was already posted in this thread, but it's probably in response to news articles about huge numbers of food delivery riders commuting between Toronto and Brampton.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/there-a...09bac.html

https://old.reddit.com/r/gotransit/comme...ast_night/

I'm happy to see many people both cycling (especially for delivery work) and commuting on transit. But sad that it's in the context of being abused by the gig economy and high cost of housing.
(10-04-2023, 08:14 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 08:02 PM)bravado Wrote: I hope this hasn't been posted yet either, but it looks like an increase in bike coaches to Kitchener and longer trains as well.

I don't know if this was already posted in this thread, but it's probably in response to news articles about huge numbers of food delivery riders commuting between Toronto and Brampton.

I'm happy to see many people both cycling (especially for delivery work) and commuting on transit. But sad that it's in the context of being abused by the gig economy and high cost of housing.

I rode the GO train from Union Station to Bramalea. I decided to sit at the end of the coach by the door. A few minutes later, I had 4 bike blocking me in my seat.
I have noticed an excessive number of bikes on the trains every time I ride them.
(10-04-2023, 08:14 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:

This!

Netherlands allows bikes on trains but has no bike coach. You buy a (badly priced) bike ticket and only ride outside of rush hour.
I seem to recall that some Dutch train stations had bike rental facilities.  I wonder if there is some corner of Union Station that could be repurposed for bike storage and/or rental.  Since the station is currently slated to finish its renovation by 2021 2022 2023 whenever*, there is probably some time to alter the current plan or find an underused corner.

* results not guaranteed
(10-06-2023, 08:53 PM)nms Wrote: I seem to recall that some Dutch train stations had bike rental facilities.  I wonder if there is some corner of Union Station that could be repurposed for bike storage and/or rental.  Since the station is currently slated to finish its renovation by 2021 2022 2023 whenever*, there is probably some time to alter the current plan or find an underused corner.

* results not guaranteed

They do, although it's not the typical bike share scenario, it is only at stations, and once you take a bike, you must return it to the station before it is not yours.

I'm not sure it would be useful for delivery riders though, don't they usually have a specialized bike for carrying orders?
The better long term solution for the delivery folks is secure bike storage near each of the stations they use in-town, so there's no need to commute with the bike. The trick is finding space for that at a reasonable price for its operator.

(10-07-2023, 12:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: The better long term solution for the delivery folks is secure bike storage near each of the stations they use in-town, so there's no need to commute with the bike. The trick is finding space for that at a reasonable price for its operator.

Or, convincing the delivery companies (eg Door Dash, Skip the Dishes etc) that they should pony up for the bike space since they are already taking advantage of our public infrastructure.
(09-25-2023, 04:07 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Go designs its commuter bus stations only for cars. It's just off the 401. We are lucky that there are GRT connections there.
In reality any GO bus that serves highway 8 should stop at Fairway but they probably deem it to be too much of a detour for the westbound buses.

I have vague recollections that the patch of land south of the DoubleTree was reserved for a future bus-only offramp from 8 west to Fairway Rd. It would be nice if that ever actually got done...
(10-25-2023, 03:15 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 04:07 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Go designs its commuter bus stations only for cars. It's just off the 401. We are lucky that there are GRT connections there.
In reality any GO bus that serves highway 8 should stop at Fairway but they probably deem it to be too much of a detour for the westbound buses.

I have vague recollections that the patch of land south of the DoubleTree was reserved for a future bus-only offramp from 8 west to Fairway Rd. It would be nice if that ever actually got done...

That was in the plans when the highway was under construction. There was silence as to why it wasn't built.
(10-25-2023, 10:09 PM)timio Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 03:15 PM)KevinT Wrote: I have vague recollections that the patch of land south of the DoubleTree was reserved for a future bus-only offramp from 8 west to Fairway Rd. It would be nice if that ever actually got done...

That was in the plans when the highway was under construction. There was silence as to why it wasn't built.

It was part of the aBRT plan to Cambridge. It would have been a rebuild too - historical photos show an off-ramp used to exist in the space.
Did anyone hear how the Fall Reading Week weekend GO train service went?
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/ndp-call-fo...-1.6646846

Quote:BRANTFORD EXPANSION

Brantford, meanwhile, is pushing for an extension of GO Train services within the city.

"Brantford is poised on a great deal of growth over the next 30 years and having a reliable rail link to the GTA will assist in that economic expansion," said Mayor Kevin Davis.

The cost, he explained, would almost entirely be covered by the province.

Future discussions are planned to lay tracks to the Telephone City.

Wait, WTF?!? Ford&Co are willing to talk about laying tracks to fricking Brantford but hem and haw for K-W?!? I'm for vastly expanded rail service in Canada, but good gravy marie.

(11-16-2023, 12:09 AM)Bytor Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/ndp-call-fo...-1.6646846

Quote:BRANTFORD EXPANSION

Brantford, meanwhile, is pushing for an extension of GO Train services within the city.

"Brantford is poised on a great deal of growth over the next 30 years and having a reliable rail link to the GTA will assist in that economic expansion," said Mayor Kevin Davis.

The cost, he explained, would almost entirely be covered by the province.

Future discussions are planned to lay tracks to the Telephone City.

Wait, WTF?!? Ford&Co are willing to talk about laying tracks to fricking Brantford but hem and haw for K-W?!? I'm for vastly expanded rail service in Canada, but good gravy marie.

KW already has a Go line... Brantford and Cambridge ain't got jack shit Sad

(unless you are including cambridge in KW which is very progressive of you)
local cambridge weirdo
Yeah we've had GO trains for over a decade now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »