Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Shannondale (née Electrohome, 152 Shanley St) | 8 fl | U/C
(07-29-2021, 07:56 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jeffster Wrote: Now we can sit back and wait for the NIMBY’s to come out in full force and demand they build a park instead.
"The city held meetings with neighbours and, together, a “vision statement” was created for the property.

Pinchin said the vision statement was helpful to understand what the neighbourhood hoped for the project. He said the proposed development includes suggestions from the vision statement such as the L-shape, parking below and at the rear and similar heights."

It's funny though, I remember the exact same thing about 20 years ago, regarding that new apartment that is part of Arrow Shirt Factory. Neighbours were informed, agreed that everything was great, and then when Auburn came in and designed the apartment within that zoning by-law, then the NIMBY's came out in full force. The excuse was "we didn't know" (because some ignored the notices) plus others had moved in.

It's a lot like when people around here buy a property close to the airport, then bitch loudly when we get more air traffic, such as that chartered business aircraft going to the far north. They left because of the bitching.

Hopefully I am wrong in this case, but don't be surprised if someone raises hell over what's happening by the time they come close to construction.

Arrow Lofts would be a good example. On NIMBYISM, the first question should be “does it make much difference?”, imo.
(07-31-2021, 11:35 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jeffster Wrote: Now we can sit back and wait for the NIMBY’s to come out in full force and demand they build a park instead.

You mean like this one?
"I have lived in the downtown core for my entire life and I have seen many changes, most of them detrimental. … Any character that we had downtown has been replaced by pawnshops and restaurants."

Do they miss all the dive bars and strip clubs from before Kitchener and the Region started trying to revitalise DTK?

There was a period of time when downtown was all nightclubs, dive bars, arcades and fights at the hotdog carts after last call. Fun times...
(07-31-2021, 11:35 AM)Bytor Wrote:

You mean like this one?
"I have lived in the downtown core for my entire life and I have seen many changes, most of them detrimental. … Any character that we had downtown has been replaced by pawnshops and restaurants."

Do they miss all the dive bars and strip clubs from before Kitchener and the Region started trying to revitalise DTK?

You'd MAYBE expect this kind of comment from someone living in the suburbs who never goes downtown, but this person starts their comment with the fact that they have lived in the core THEIR ENTIRE LIFE!!  If they've missed the changes to DTK they've clearly not left their home in the last 20 years
The 8-storey apartment building has been approved: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

One great change is the addition of seven three-bedroom apartments. That's only four percent of the total, but it's more than zero.

A few extra parking spots, and "townhouse-style" units at ground level. This should be a great addition to the neighbourhood.
The Record Wrote:Townhouse-style units were added at the ground level with outdoor patio areas and street appeal. Commercial uses will also be at the ground level.

I hope this happens. I'm still waiting for the commercial units at the Victoria Commons.
Piles were being driven on here the other day, and construction fencing is now up in place of the wooden fence. Has something being approved?

(11-03-2022, 10:57 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Piles were being driven on here the other day, and construction fencing is now up in place of the wooden fence. Has something being approved?

They have a building permit for the foundation only (the permit number is 22104017), it was issued the 19th of October. It says "Permit for shoring only to facilitate soil remediation for a future eight storey apartment building."
Based on this article  from The Record soil remediation has been completed and construction of the building will be starting within the next month. The developer is planning on reusing some of the salvaged materials from the old building in the construction of the new one.
(06-02-2023, 02:16 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The developer is planning on reusing some of the salvaged materials from the old building in the construction of the new one.

I always like to hear this! Most people don't have any idea just how environmentally destructive it is to demolish and construct new buildings. There are colossal amounts of resources and energy being used from everything from trees being cut down, manufacturing of windows, material transportation, the concrete etc. Even if this developer is only using a small selection of materials, that's better than sending it all to a dump and ordering new stuff.

Armchair urbanists will harp on about stuff like getting people out of cars, building bike lanes and building dense towers. But few seem to consider what the cost of new infrastructure and density actually is.
(06-02-2023, 02:29 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 02:16 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The developer is planning on reusing some of the salvaged materials from the old building in the construction of the new one.

I always like to hear this! Most people don't have any idea just how environmentally destructive it is to demolish and construct new buildings. There are colossal amounts of resources and energy being used from everything from trees being cut down, manufacturing of windows, material transportation, the concrete etc. Even if this developer is only using a small selection of materials, that's better than sending it all to a dump and ordering new stuff.

Armchair urbanists will harp on about stuff like getting people out of cars, building bike lanes and building dense towers. But few seem to consider what the cost of new infrastructure and density actually is.

It is a pity that adaptive reuse is such an uphill climb on feasibility, especially in the current splits of CRE vacancies to residential that seem to be some manner of new normal with smaller office footprints.
This has finally been progressing, and excavation appears to be complete now.

They have two concrete pads down. This is the big one and a smaller one is just to the left of this picture.

Crane is installed now.
There are two threads for this project. The other is called Electrohome, but I think this thread has the correct name.

There's been some action here since the last photos, with underground concrete work ongoing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »