Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micromobility (bikeshare, scootershare)
Programs like this don't work unless there is critical mass, like BIXI in Montreal. I don't think we'll get close to that. While I can understand the speed limits on the IHT for scooters, I don't understand the complete ban for e-bikes on those same trails

I guess we'll also need to see how good they are at enforcement of the helmet thing. When I try these out, I'm bringing my own, because sharing an ill-fitting public helmet with a stranger weirds me out.

Ok this one killed me… RIP these orphan scooters in no-man’s land Sad

[Image: soOZ26D.png]
local cambridge weirdo
(04-16-2023, 08:42 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: Programs like this don't work unless there is critical mass, like BIXI in Montreal. I don't think we'll get close to that. While I can understand the speed limits on the IHT for scooters, I don't understand the complete ban for e-bikes on those same trails

I guess we'll also need to see how good they are at enforcement of the helmet thing. When I try these out, I'm bringing my own, because sharing an ill-fitting public helmet with a stranger weirds me out.

I don't understand the speed limits...these things aren't nearly as fast as a bicycle (non-e). Not sure what you think the reason is?

The ban of e-bikes on the trail apparently is written into the city's bylaw...oh yeah...did you guys know? No e-bikes allowed on ANY multi-use trail in Kitchener or Waterloo apparently...so like...if you ride up Victoria St. the city expects you to share the road with 90km/h transport truck traffic rather than use the empty MUT...
Improper helmet fitting is all over their promotional materials. I don't care if it's the law, having that much forehead showing isn't going to do much for you in a crash when you hit a toddler on the sidewalk. https://www.rideneuron.com/
Oh right...helmets are actually required for ebikes in Ontario...

Lol...I don't even have a helmet anymore...

Yeah...sorry gloating a bit here.
Stealing this picture from Reddit. Let's see if anyone here can look at it and take a guess what is wrong about it:

[Image: CgvQz6l.jpg]
Walking about this weekend, I saw a bunch of the e-scooters, that photo has the first bikes I have seen.

As for e-bikes on the IHT, I suspect the challenge is the lack of clear definitions of what is an "e-bike". We have e-assist bicycles, full e-bicycle, e-mopeds, e-motorcycles, e-unicycles, e-skareboards ... and I think they are all lumped together as "e-bikes". Some of those really are inappropriate for the IHT, but I think we are really lacking in a legal framework for these things.

The bylaw is pretty specific “no e-bikes on any multi use trail”
Saw a half dozen scooters completely blocking the sidewalk at King and Ottawa. I guess if you're in a wheelchair or pushing a stroller then the sidewalk ain't for you anymore.
(04-17-2023, 12:43 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: The bylaw is pretty specific “no e-bikes on any multi use trail”

I ride my e-bike on all the multi-use trails, and I am not the only one. I have never seen any enforcement of this bylaw, which I never heard of till now. E-bikes, limited to 32 km/h, are classified as bicycles in the HTA. Meanwhile, while I try to limit my speed on the IHT to 20 km/h and under because of pedestrians, I have been passed by spandex warriors on skinny tired non-electric bikes going 40 km/h and weaving dangerously around the pedestrians on the trail.
(04-17-2023, 01:43 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(04-17-2023, 12:43 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: The bylaw is pretty specific “no e-bikes on any multi use trail”

I ride my e-bike on all the multi-use trails, and I am not the only one. I have never seen any enforcement of this bylaw, which I never heard of till now. E-bikes, limited to 32 km/h, are classified as bicycles in the HTA. Meanwhile, while I try to limit my speed on the IHT to 20 km/h and under because of pedestrians, I have been passed by spandex warriors on skinny tired non-electric bikes going 40 km/h and weaving dangerously around the pedestrians on the trail.

Yup, it's a bad law that is not enforced...which really is even worse than just a bad law.
They should set a general speed limit on trails for all wheeled conveyances, and not restrict their form beyond being personal sized (ie no golf carts). Of course that is too simple and sensible...
The response to the new scooters online has been remarkably hostile.

I don't think there's anything surprising about a strongly overtly hostile response, the scooters have everything you want to trigger almost everyone...

Disability advocates hate them because they obstruct sidewalks sometimes.
Transportation people hate them because the region (at the behest of disability advocates) forced utterly idiotic restrictions on their use.
Conservatives hate them because they're...well...new or different at all.

That's like, almost all of the people online...
(04-17-2023, 01:43 PM)Acitta Wrote:

As both a pedal assist e-(cargo) bike user and spandex warrior using the MUTs, strong agreement on all accounts. The law makes zero sense when it's baseline riding for most sports cyclists on an unassisted road bike to be 25 kph or more. I realize the e-bikes can be heavier and the throttle vs. pedalling has differing behaviour but its like the template of road laws where its actual more down to common sense safe riding/driving.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »