Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Westmount Place (50 Westmount N, 9-15 Dietz N, 192-218 Erb W) | 11-25 fl | U/C
That is a nice looking building! Finally a podium that some thought put into it. Are we sure this is being proposed for waterloo haha.

That's the best-looking building proposal I have seen for Waterloo in quite some time. The podium balconies and windows look good, and the black cladding isn't overdone (podium and top floors only). No combover or random windows. And I like those vertical copper (?) strips of cladding look good well.

I think this building is a good example of how to make a building look good on a moderate budget. (Unless ac3r tells us that this is actually an expensive design.)
(01-18-2022, 01:58 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Backside courtyard is a nice touch, if realized. As always, hoping they actually plant the trees for those that aren't modelled as street trees.

Not really clear if the first floor has some commercial space or if its just lobby/more condos?

No commercial space in this particular building as far as I know. The future buildings in this project will likely have some, given the scale of this and how many residents would be there.
The signs are down from the property, or at least that’s what I thought I noticed last time I was by. Does this mean the original proposal is kaput?
Not as far as I know. They were going to have another meeting about it in 2020 but that was postponed...but was never rescheduled. I believe it's still an active application. Sadly, the way the political and social bureaucracy works in Waterloo means this will either take a decade to get done, will be scaled back in size due to NIMBY complaints or will be cancelled outright. The developer may just decide to abandon the plan due to the sloth like pace Waterloo operates on as well as all the pushback from NIMBYs. I know if I was a developer and proposed a big project like this that got stalled for years, I'd just abandon it and move on to a city that isn't full of conservative minded people.
(01-18-2022, 04:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not as far as I know. They were going to have another meeting about it in 2020 but that was postponed...but was never rescheduled. I believe it's still an active application. Sadly, the way the political and social bureaucracy works in Waterloo means this will either take a decade to get done, will be scaled back in size due to NIMBY complaints or will be cancelled outright. The developer may just decide to abandon the plan due to the sloth like pace Waterloo operates on as well as all the pushback from NIMBYs. I know if I was a developer and proposed a big project like this that got stalled for years, I'd just abandon it and move on to a city that isn't full of conservative minded people.

This is the as-of-right version after the rest of the project was scrapped and the OPA/ZBA abandoned. As far as I know, they are unsure of what to do with the rest of the site and are waiting to see how the market responds to this first building to decide.
(01-18-2022, 03:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: The signs are down from the property, or at least that’s what I thought I noticed last time I was by. Does this mean the original proposal is kaput?

The sign blew down in one of November's wind storms, and is afaik lying under the snow. It's a marvel that the other half of the big weeping willow tree hasn't collapsed, as well as that no move has been made to remove the hazardous mess it presents.

Building now has a new sign announcing it as ”the Carrick.” Many trees were cut down last week and the site is fenced off. Let the fun begin!
Saw the base of the crane being installed this past weekend.
(11-30-2021, 03:14 PM)CP42 Wrote: Also - this is definitely not university area. 
Perhaps it can be moved?

Now that the building has a name (the Carrick) and is under construction, I agree that it's time to move it either to Urban (like its neighbour the Barrelyards, to the east) or Suburban (like its other neighbour, the Moda, to the west).
Yeah I don't know why this has been in the University Area forum all these years. It's smack dab in the suburbs.
To be fair, its less than half a kilometer from the Seagram/University entrance of UW as the crow flies. This is about the same distance from UW to the centre of Northdale. If Luther Village hadn't been built, those lands could just as easily have become a student district.
There's a large concrete pour happening today. Two boom pumps and the crane were all working when I biked past.

This one is starting to look like something, it looks like they're working on the 4th floor slab.

Attached Files Image(s)

That last photo Jan 22nd was the 4th floor slab.  Now 2.5 months later they are working on the 9th floor slab.  That's a floor per two weeks.  There's 10,11,12, and roof left.  The roof always seems to take a bit longer so call it two floors, so maybe 2.5 more months and the structure could be finished.

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »