Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(11-26-2022, 04:20 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Anyone in construction know what they're doing now? looks like horizontal drilling outwards around the bottom of the dug out foundation pit?

tiebacks likely

(11-27-2022, 06:02 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 04:20 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Anyone in construction know what they're doing now? looks like horizontal drilling outwards around the bottom of the dug out foundation pit?

tiebacks likely

Oh dear, isn't that how Drewlo flooded the neighbourhood and shut down ION for a couple of days?

(Or was that before ION had even opened? At the snail's pace they've been moving its hard to recall...)
(11-28-2022, 04:46 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 06:02 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote: tiebacks likely

Oh dear, isn't that how Drewlo flooded the neighbourhood and shut down ION for a couple of days?

(Or was that before ION had even opened? At the snail's pace they've been moving its hard to recall...)

Yes it is but it is a very common method of shoring and you just don't hear about all the ones that go without a hitch.
Minor update.

Looks like they are finishing the excavation. They brought out the big machine today to remove the last of the dirt.

(01-11-2023, 01:00 PM)Chris Wrote: Minor update.

Looks like they are finishing the excavation. They brought out the big machine today to remove the last of the dirt.

They will start pouring concrete in 2-3 months
(01-11-2023, 08:21 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 01:00 PM)Chris Wrote: Minor update.

They will start pouring concrete in 2-3 months

Cool, thanks for the update. I was curious as to when they would do that as I assumed that would be the next major step.
I had no idea they were even digging. Nice. Can't wait to see this finished and what it does to our skyline.

(01-12-2023, 11:18 AM)ac3r Wrote: I had no idea they were even digging. Nice. Can't wait to see this finished and what it does to our skyline.

Sounds like you don't visit downtown nor ride the iON through downtown :p
(01-12-2023, 02:24 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 11:18 AM)ac3r Wrote: I had no idea they were even digging. Nice. Can't wait to see this finished and what it does to our skyline.

Sounds like you don't visit downtown nor ride the iON through downtown :p

I ride the LRT past there about 4-5 times a week (usually at night, mind you) so I've never noticed they've been digging down. You don't get a good view on the train or at night.
They had some cement trucks and machine pouring cement down at the bottom of the dig yesterday. Just in a small spot off the Francis side.
The bottom of the big dig.

Photo 2

Great photos! Can't wait to see this one rise.

Thanks for the photo update Chris
There were pouring more concrete last week and dropping in rebar. Here is a picture from lunch today.

I didn't capture it in the photo but the big excavator is still down there in the bottom right corner.

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »