Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
You need to look closely at the purchase agreement as it pertains to delays and namely 'unavoidable delays' and the dates of said letters. Something about so long as they advised you of notice of unavoidable delay within 2 weeks of firm occupancy then they are covered off. Check yours as well for 'final occupancy date' and they likely put some date in bloody 2024 to cover themselves off for even larger delays (so long as the letters went out in time yada yada)...it's ridiculous.

The flood should not even fall under unavoidable delay IMO as they messed up in workmanship.

But to what you quoted, I think don't sign that until running it by a lawyer...
(10-25-2022, 01:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: I have no answer but I would think if the home you bought was flooded they would compensate. Seems insane not to do so.

I agree. The flood occurred on floor 18 and it damaged many units below it, which have since been "repaired". Looks like shoddy work to me, but I'm hoping they fix things before my possession date. I was curious to see if others who were impacted by the delay have heard of any sort of compensation since I think it's justified.
(10-29-2022, 12:28 AM)Momo26 Wrote: You need to look closely at the purchase agreement as it pertains to delays and namely 'unavoidable delays' and the dates of said letters. Something about so long as they advised you of notice of unavoidable delay within 2 weeks of firm occupancy then they are covered off.  Check yours as well for 'final occupancy date' and they likely put some date in bloody 2024 to cover themselves off for even larger delays (so long as the letters went out in time yada yada)...it's ridiculous.

The flood should not even fall under unavoidable delay IMO as they messed up in workmanship.

I agree, if someone messed up, it shouldn't fall under unavoidable delay. It was completely avoidable if the job had been done correctly. I'm waiting to hear back from my lawyer Smile
Another question: for anyone who purchased a home in Garment, did you have a "Contribution to Public Realm" fee? And if so, what was the amount? I've never had such a fee before on any other condo I've purchased.
If I had to guess, the developer committed to making a contribution to public space elsewhere in the City in exchange for a zoning variance. Rather than simply bundle the fee into the original condo sale price, they made it a separate line item. It's possible that they didn't know what that final amount was going to be during the pre-sale period and but still wanted each owner make a contribution to the public space contribution.

I am also assuming that this fee is not simply a Common Element Fee by another name.
I walked through Garment St yesterday, and it looks like the street which was originally built with tile/pavers (presumably to slow down speeds and look nice) has been torn out and replaced with concrete?

(11-15-2022, 10:00 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I walked through Garment St yesterday, and it looks like the street which was originally built with tile/pavers (presumably to slow down speeds and look nice) has been torn out and replaced with concrete?

Yeah the pavers or the installation (or both) were crap and half of them on the drive lane in from Victoria were already busted up. I presume they just gave up and re-did it with concrete though I haven't been by to look since.
That's what you get for using cheap pavers. Granite setts would last a (human) lifetime or more.
(11-16-2022, 02:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's what you get for using cheap pavers. Granite setts would last a (human) lifetime or more.

That would be a dream.  Are they used anywhere in Ontario?  Ottawa has some in pedestrian only areas in the Market, but none on streets afaik.
That's like expecting a Ford Taurus to have...I don't know...what a Lamborghini has inside of it. :'P Don't you guys know we prefer profit over practicality in this industry¿‽¿
Replacing faux stone pavers isn't free, either. Even if the pavers are cheap, labour is expensive.
(11-16-2022, 10:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Replacing faux stone pavers isn't free, either. Even if the pavers are cheap, labour is expensive.

Free to whom depends on the payee when they fail...

(11-16-2022, 09:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's like expecting a Ford Taurus to have...I don't know...what a Lamborghini has inside of it. :'P Don't you guys know we prefer profit over practicality in this industry¿‽¿

My parents' old neighbour actually had an old restored Countach, and the interior was surprisingly basic, at least compared to what I consider luxury now. Granted, it's gonna be harder for a tiny cramped passenger compartment to seem luxurious.
(11-18-2022, 01:14 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 09:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's like expecting a Ford Taurus to have...I don't know...what a Lamborghini has inside of it. :'P Don't you guys know we prefer profit over practicality in this industry¿‽¿

My parents' old neighbour actually had an old restored Countach, and the interior was surprisingly basic, at least compared to what I consider luxury now. Granted, it's gonna be harder for a tiny cramped passenger compartment to seem luxurious.

An old Countach is also ... quite old. Introduced almost 50 years ago, and with hand-made interiors (not by the guys that built Rolls Royces and Bentleys!) it was indeed pretty basic. People didn't buy them for the luxury.

The engines were rather more special, though. Dinosaurs now, but at the time ...

[Image: Bizzarrini_Lamborghini_Dallara.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »