Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Waterloo has an Urban Planning program I thought...they *must* have a recent copy somewhere.

Just wanted to share a link to this event near UW tomorrow, looks like you can test drive some EVs and even see some electric cargo bikes + autonomous robots. I don't have time in the middle of the day to go and nerd out Sad

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ev-test-driv...5384665987
local cambridge weirdo
(10-01-2022, 02:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 06:21 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Not sure what thread to put this in, but the sidewalk (or rather, the parking and planter portion) is being replaced on the block in front of Eaton Lofts & Shoppers. There is some fencing on the opposite side of King St as well, so it may be happening there.

To my extreme disappointed, every single tree on the block has been cut down, just as they were getting to be of a reasonable size (i.e. you actually notice that they were there). I can't find any information on this construction, but if the tree cutting extends beyond this block I will be livid.

That's a big shame.

It's frustrating that given how often trees are used as a reason that we cannot do something, that they are cut down so easily.

The tree cutting and sidewalk (aka parking) replacement is continuing down the street. Looking out the window of Matter of Taste throughout this summer, seeing the reasonably sized tree in front of the City Center podium is one of the first times I thought downtown looked nice. Does anyone know how I can pursue more information about why this is happening? If it's because our sidewalk had to accommodate cars and they destroy everything they touch, I want to make my voice heard. If it's for some more understandable reason, I will shut up.

About 6-7 stumps visible in this photo

[Image: lJsMVPQ.jpg]
(10-25-2022, 04:06 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: The tree cutting and sidewalk (aka parking) replacement is continuing down the street. Looking out the window of Matter of Taste throughout this summer, seeing the reasonably sized tree in front of the City Center podium is one of the first times I thought downtown looked nice. Does anyone know how I can pursue more information about why this is happening? If it's because our sidewalk had to accommodate cars and they destroy everything they touch, I want to make my voice heard. If it's for some more understandable reason, I will shut up.

The only explanation I've seen from the city is https://twitter.com/CityKitchener/status...1416521729 . So I think we can expect this to continue for all of Frederick - Francis.

I think our cities are way too fast to say "oh trees are dying, replace them", when caring for trees properly would cost more. At the same time, I suspect caring for the trees better needed to be done years ago, and it's probably too late to do anything now.

The pavers they're replacing do look at lot better, the older pavers are in pretty rough shape.
Stop using salt....
(10-25-2022, 05:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The pavers they're replacing do look at lot better, the older pavers are in pretty rough shape.

I suspect this was the key rationale for rebuilding the sidewalks. And, no, I don't think it was salt, it was stones that were breaking up. Hopefully the new stones are better suited and more durable for this.
There is now a city of kitchener sign on Francis street that says the road will be closed on October 31st for approximately 4 years.

Ugh..... I use Francis to go between Joseph and Charles every damn day. I really, really hope that section isn't getting closed. Either I'll have to go out to Victoria and wait for multiple lights, or I'm just going to drive the wrong way down Joseph. What a terrible place to live.
(10-26-2022, 12:39 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Ugh..... I use Francis to go between Joseph and Charles every damn day. I really, really hope that section isn't getting closed. Either I'll have to go out to Victoria and wait for multiple lights, or I'm just going to drive the wrong way down Joseph. What a terrible place to live.

Just the section between Charles and king will be closed.
Ok... still terrible, but not as terrible.
(10-26-2022, 12:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 05:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The pavers they're replacing do look at lot better, the older pavers are in pretty rough shape.

I suspect this was the key rationale for rebuilding the sidewalks. And, no, I don't think it was salt, it was stones that were breaking up. Hopefully the new stones are better suited and more durable for this.

Seems like a really short lifespan. Concrete sidewalks can last for 100 years sometimes. That being said, I have no idea if pavers last longer or shorter. Here most streets are brick or pavers and most seem pristine, but some are worn (and could be 100s of years old) but they also seem to do maintenance on them constantly. So I really have no idea what the expected life span of these things are, but given that I remember them redoing King St. it seems like it should have lasted longer.
(10-26-2022, 12:26 PM)CP42 Wrote: There is now a city of kitchener sign on Francis street that says the road will be closed on October 31st for approximately 4 years.

That is a while!
Maybe 15-20 years? Yes, less than I would have expected, especially since they are only used for parking, not actually driving.

(10-26-2022, 12:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

I meant salt damaging the trees.  But it does take its toll on concrete as well.
Maybe they have hired Drewlo's construction firm to build it...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »