Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(03-07-2022, 10:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm tempted to e-mail this to SRM and tell them I improved their podium, but maybe that's a bit too mean. :^)

They’d probably offer you a job on the spot

As if I'd want them on my CV!
(03-07-2022, 10:56 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 09:16 PM)CP42 Wrote: Just tuned into the council meeting discussing Tek Tower (30 Francis) and an architect pointed out that the renderings should not be taken as final product, pointing to the podium rendering for DTK Condos versus the final product.

That’s disappointing to hear. Do you know if they voted in favour for TEK?

I was excited for TEK Tower, but knowing how awful DTK turned out by the same developer and architect, I almost hope city council votes down the TEK project until they change the podium of DTK haha. Sounds like the Architect and Developer are going to do the old bait and switch with the exterior cladding choices. I truly hope IN8 doesn't own too many more lots in the region. 

This project actually makes my blood boil every time I go past it.
Here come the people who think they will be able to sell a 496 square foot condo with no parking for over $600k 😂
Will be interesting to see what people actually pay compared to what these folks are listing them at (hopefully far under)

[Image: suywBEE.png][Image: w1nduXW.png]
Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Any idea what a unit like this cost pre-construction?
(04-21-2022, 05:37 PM)CP42 Wrote: Here come the people who think they will be able to sell a 496 square foot condo with no parking for over $600k 😂
Will be interesting to see what people actually pay compared to what these folks are listing them at (hopefully far under)

[Image: suywBEE.png][Image: w1nduXW.png]

Not only is it small, the floor plan is horrible.
Damn, that's tiny. That's like the size of a garage on a house, if that.

A bargain, considering another IN8 shoebox up the road with -100 sqft is pre-construction for $830k. Don't miss out!
The building rendering provided with the listing is still the old "nice looking" one. Talk about misleading.
(04-21-2022, 08:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Damn, that's tiny. That's like the size of a garage on a house, if that.

I quite literally am in garage right now and it is 600sq ft...maybe I should look into severing my property and turning over a tidy profit!   I can't imagine living in this thing though, and it is 20% bigger!
(04-22-2022, 09:53 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 08:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Damn, that's tiny. That's like the size of a garage on a house, if that.

I quite literally am in garage right now and it is 600sq ft...maybe I should look into severing my property and turning over a tidy profit!   I can't imagine living in this thing though, and it is 20% bigger!

After graduating, I lived for a while (in Europe) in a 27 m^2 apartment, about 300 sqft. It was actually quite livable when properly organized. Here, we have been trained to expect individual bedrooms and close to 1000 sqft per person.
(04-22-2022, 08:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 09:53 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: I quite literally am in garage right now and it is 600sq ft...maybe I should look into severing my property and turning over a tidy profit!   I can't imagine living in this thing though, and it is 20% bigger!

After graduating, I lived for a while (in Europe) in a 27 m^2 apartment, about 300 sqft. It was actually quite livable when properly organized. Here, we have been trained to expect individual bedrooms and close to 1000 sqft per person.

Training via standard of living, perhaps.  As our standard of living declines, living spaces are now getting smaller.
(04-23-2022, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 08:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: After graduating, I lived for a while (in Europe) in a 27 m^2 apartment, about 300 sqft. It was actually quite livable when properly organized. Here, we have been trained to expect individual bedrooms and close to 1000 sqft per person.

Training via standard of living, perhaps.  As our standard of living declines, living spaces are now getting smaller.

Trained by the proliferation of suburbs and SFH-oriented land use policies, more likely.

At least for me, having a good life doesn't require a huge amount of space per person. Of course, each person's views are different.

(04-23-2022, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 08:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: After graduating, I lived for a while (in Europe) in a 27 m^2 apartment, about 300 sqft. It was actually quite livable when properly organized. Here, we have been trained to expect individual bedrooms and close to 1000 sqft per person.

Standard of living is not directly connected to cost of living.

One important strategy for good living is to find inexpensive ways of living well. For example, use space efficiently so one can spend less on real estate and still have the same enjoyment from it. Or find interesting things to do with inexpensive food. Or find enjoyable recreation within bicycling distance, rather than flying to more distant destinations.
Europeans tolerate smaller living spaces as there is a proliferation of "third spaces" that have become an integral part of their urban fabric. This includes things like pubs, cafés, public parks and public squares. Has anywhere in Canada caught up to creating local spaces where it is expected that the general public would hang out for long periods of the day without being asked to move along?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »