Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis shops in Waterloo Region
I think we'll see a big wave to start and then a few won't make it leaving the rest to take the lead, with everyone trying to outlast eachother.

Elevate Cannabis (73 King St W) has received their AGCO retail licence and appears to be open now. First shop in DTK!
(11-17-2020, 02:41 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Elevate Cannabis (73 King St W) has received their AGCO retail licence and appears to be open now. First shop in DTK!

What did you see that suggested it was open? Their google listing says they should be open according to their listed hours, but I went to have a look and the door was definitely locked. Didn't see any Open sign or anything either.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I'm pretty sure I recently saw a leased sign where Rhapsody used to be and AGCO shows an application for that address.

Also while looking through the AGCO applications I came across a store called "Ouid" in Nepean which is hilarious (say it like a French person).
(11-17-2020, 05:50 PM)dtkvict Wrote: I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I'm pretty sure I recently saw a leased sign where Rhapsody used to be and AGCO shows an application for that address.
That is disappointing. We need a bar with live music, not another pot shop.
(11-17-2020, 07:07 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 05:50 PM)dtkvict Wrote: I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I'm pretty sure I recently saw a leased sign where Rhapsody used to be and AGCO shows an application for that address.
Would it not be for another licensed bar or restaurant?  The Rhapsody space seems far too large for a weed shop.
(11-17-2020, 07:07 PM)Acitta Wrote:

It's for the GypsyLee side of the space. The main restaurant space remains unleased.
(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 07:07 PM)Acitta Wrote: That is disappointing. We need a bar with live music, not another pot shop.

It's for the GypsyLee side of the space. The main restaurant space remains unleased.

That makes sense. I see Rhapsody was at 179 King W and GypsyLee was 181 King W? I only went for lunch once and they had us eat on the 181 side. If I'm not mistaken, the two units were very much connected right? I just assumed they were the same address.

Buy joints on one side, smoke outside, head into the other side for live music?

But yes, 6 shops within ~3 blocks is a bit silly

[Image: LKheuUy.png]

(11-17-2020, 07:50 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's for the GypsyLee side of the space. The main restaurant space remains unleased.

That makes sense. I see Rhapsody was at 179 King W and GypsyLee was 181 King W? I only went for lunch once and they had us eat on the 181 side. If I'm not mistaken, the two units were very much connected right? I just assumed they were the same address.

Buy joints on one side, smoke outside, head into the other side for live music?

But yes, 6 shops within ~3 blocks is a bit silly

[Image: LKheuUy.png]

How did you generate this map?
https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/files/..._ST_E.html
(11-17-2020, 05:50 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 02:41 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Elevate Cannabis (73 King St W) has received their AGCO retail licence and appears to be open now. First shop in DTK!

What did you see that suggested it was open? Their google listing says they should be open according to their listed hours, but I went to have a look and the door was definitely locked. Didn't see any Open sign or anything either.

I did not go in (or even stop, too bloody cold today) so my assumption may have been too hasty. They do have the licence, thouh, and the full signage is up, so opening should be imminent. Sorry about the mistake!
7 new marijuana stores are set to open downtown and council is not having any of it. These people are not only out of touch and seem like they're against it as a substance, but they should also not be micromanaging stuff at this level: https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...kitchener/
Is all that window covering at Elevate the finished look, or just something temporary while renovations are done? It looks dreadful. I doubt that the City should be doing much (yet) to control them - at least until they give it a couple of years for a market shake-out.
It seems strange to me that they are all wanting to open downtown. Surely there is a market in other parts of the city as well? I wonder if certain landlords aren't willing to lease to marijuana stores.

Cheaper than Uptown or the Fariway Rd strip?  I haven't heard about anybody being reluctant to rent to weed shops, but I suppose it's possible.  Are there any located in the Universities area?  I would have expected a clutch of them there.
(12-16-2020, 10:50 AM)ac3r Wrote: 7 new marijuana stores are set to open downtown and council is not having any of it. These people are not only out of touch and seem like they're against it as a substance, but they should also not be micromanaging stuff at this level: https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...kitchener/

Well, no, the "council" is not trying to control it. Sarah Marsh said it's too many (in her opinion) but that's not the same as the council trying to control it. And the council really can't, anyway, except by modifying the zoning bylaws, and I don't expect to see that happening.

There may be seven applications for DTK but I really don't expect to see them all open: some later ones will end up being abandoned. And, longer term, probably only two or three can thrive in the downtown area.

P.S. There is no reason to believe that four DTK shops would sell more marijuana than two shops would.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »