Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-27-2018, 03:03 PM)Square Wrote: Did 511 get unloaded today?  Thank you.

It did.  I have a bunch of raw footage that I'll hopefully get turned into a YouTube video this evening...

(09-27-2018, 12:22 PM)Canard Wrote: In a nutshell, this picture basically explains the primary reason for the current delays beyond the initial production startup hiccups:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5577]

Guess who didn't hold up their end of the deal?

Guess who was trying to get out of the deal?

The Star, April 19, 2017: Judge blocks Metrolinx from cancelling Bombardier contract
The Star, May 11, 2017: Metrolinx to buy vehicles from Bombardier competitor

Read between the lines and its easy to imagine that Metrolinx wasn't signing off on specs for vehicle production or the 'specialized equipment' that had to go into them because they'd already picked a new pony.  Our order was a tack on to theirs, under their specs.  ION was the flea on the tail (Metrolinx) wagging the dog (Bombardier).

Note: Edited to add second article link, article dates, and update commentary accordingly.
(09-26-2018, 06:34 PM)Canard Wrote: An update from CTV on some of the art projects along the line:

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1498327

They briefly mention that one project was cancelled, but not by name - that being Ken Hall's phenominal "Network" for R+T park, which was going to be the most elaborate and spectacular piece along the line.

Also no mention of the fact that all pieces were due to be installed by the end of September, and none have even begun installation.

I'm still very much looking forward to "Because Cats Can't Fly" by Veronica and Edwin Dam de Nogales.

What's odd is that https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/explo...access.pdf says that it goes at the Kitchener Market stop but the graphic shows it at Blockline.  I'd much prefer Blockline as shown.
The artists had Block Line in mind, the art committee decided to put it at Kitchener Market.
(09-27-2018, 07:28 PM)KevinL Wrote: The artists had Block Line in mind, the art committee decided to put it at Kitchener Market.

The artist is smart. She knows very well that her artwork will be destroyed within a week of installation. Nothing special should be done with Market.
...or maybe they realized there’s already a mural there, and the art would be better served somewhere else. 

I can’t believe how harsh and judgemental people are of that area. We all share this little ball of dirt we call home.
A pair of LRV’s is at Central Station, for some testing on the hill between Wellington and Victoria!

Two more are cycling on the more Northern part of the alignment.

So much activity!

(09-28-2018, 01:02 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 07:28 PM)KevinL Wrote: The artists had Block Line in mind, the art committee decided to put it at Kitchener Market.

The artist is smart. She knows very well that her artwork will be destroyed within a week of installation. Nothing special should be done with Market.

The mural on Charles has not been destroyed ...
(09-28-2018, 09:37 AM)Canard Wrote: A pair of LRV’s is at Central Station, for some testing on the hill between Wellington and Victoria!

So much activity!

Two LRVs together at the same time.  That's a sight that I'm guessing we won't see often.
(09-28-2018, 09:37 AM)Canard Wrote: A pair of LRV’s is at Central Station, for some testing on the hill between Wellington and Victoria!

So much activity!

Heard that on the radio and did a quick pit stop at Sixo on my drive in to work to catch 509 dragging 508 up the hill, then as I carried on I was lucky enough to pass 506 transiting the Green (KCI) crossover with 507 waiting its turn another half a block up the road.  I really ought to get me a dashcam...
Only the lead LRV was powered, it was a tow test on the hill.
Are there scenarios where they'd have to tow each other?
(09-28-2018, 10:53 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are there scenarios where they'd have to tow each other?

In the event of a breakdown

https://twitter.com/mrjasonli/status/104...8284741633

(09-28-2018, 10:35 AM)Spokes Wrote:

So much activity!

Two LRVs together at the same time.  That's a sight that I'm guessing we won't see often.

Yep..today was the first time I saw the Ion, and they had two of them together, so it was a pretty unique site. I would have snapped a photo but being the police cars around, plus I was driving...
You've seen ION for years; yesterday was just the first time you saw an LRV.  Big Grin

1/2 - Friday, September 28, 2018

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »