Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Results discussion
Honestly, I was just about to post a summary of that interview, he comes off as not the being the best losers

what would you have done differently?

I should have hired at least 4 people, should have had councillors working for me -  mitchell, strickland, they had their their constituents vote for seiling so he got all those extra votes, that was the difference.

Did you run a negative campaign?

No, didn't run negative campaign, wanted to tell people that seiling has done nothing in 30 years, and in fact anything he has touched he has damaged.   That's what the people voted for.

Was it worth it?

100% - got people's attention saying the region is going in the wrong direction - was 1 vs 12, didn't have incumbents supporting him, did well since he was all on his own

what about the toronto firm, did they bring a negative tone?

it's funny how people look at this, they don't look at the record of mr seiling - the media was all patting seiling on the back telling him he did a good job - that's okay.

manager did a marvelous job, would hire him again and again

did you plan to run again?

you never know.

how much did you spend?

Doesn't know, but whatever he spent it was worth it.  Enjoyed listening to the people and all of their problems.  Glad he didn't win because he couldn't have worked with the elected council - it would have been life in hell, would have been impossible to work with them.  

Was LRT the reason he entered?

Yes, it started with LRT but then when he look into it he realized we have terrible debt loads, no affordable housing.  Loise D'amato mistook affordable housing and non-profit housing, that should be brought up.  Region is trying to hide behind churches wrt the homeless.

Can let still be stopped?

Looking forward to see what happens, see what happens to the businesses during construction, what happens to the citizens when our taxes go up

he  is going to say "I told you so", everybody will see it and learn it when it happens.  Won't impact him, he's moving his business away from LRT.  LRT is going to kill our region, not on-time, not on budget.  The weber st overpass is already late and over-budget .  Wants to hold everybody responsible who has said it will be on-time and on-budget.

How certain is he of his numbers w.r.t. debt levels he came up.

Very certain, come december we will be at 540, 548 million.  Even the record has said that I am right. then onto a tangent -   When you have one newspaper in town and they back up one candidate you have nothing left.  The media should not be taking sides, that's what democracy is all about.  Very disappointed with the record taking a position, taking a position with mr. seiling.  They don't even have their stories straight.

What did you say to Mr. Seiling

Congratulations, all the best for the next 4 years.  Keep up the work.

I work in Cambridge, and just went out for lunch... on my 5 minute drive from/back to my office I saw at least 50 Jay Aissa signs still up. Isn't there some time limit on how long they can be up before they're charged?
The only reference to campaign material in the ON Municipal Act relates to polling places, i.e. you can't display them at the polls. There's nothing I can find about removal. 

The 2014 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections which isn't the official act says 

Quote:The Municipal Elections Act, 1996 does not regulate signs. Your local municipality may have rules in place about when you can put up campaign signs, and how signs may be 
displayed on public property.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your campaign signs are removed after voting day. Your municipality may require a sign deposit or have penalties for failing to remove your 
signs. You should contact your local clerk for more information.

So it hinges on Cambridge's rules, e.g. if there's a sign deposit to incent campaigners to remove their signs.
Yeah, waterloo is still covered in Jay's signs as well….Jay Fencing and Signs!
(10-30-2014, 12:41 PM)Canard Wrote: I work in Cambridge, and just went out for lunch... on my 5 minute drive from/back to my office I saw at least 50 Jay Aissa signs still up.  Isn't there some time limit on how long they can be up before they're charged?

I believe the regional bylaw is 72 hours, but Tom Galloway said on twitter the other day, there's not much bang behind it.
It shows a complete lack of respect to leave them up in my opinion.
I understand the main reason people pick them up is that they can be used again in the next election. Since Jay isn't picking him up, I guess this means he does not intend to run again. Jay's signs were Canada Action Plan CPC blue and green. Maybe just a coincidence, or maybe trying to have some of the good will from that project rub well on him?

I'm still curious who financed him and told him to get a tea party style pro from Toronto to run his campaign.

I saw a crew finally picking up the Jay signs late yesterday afternoon, however I have a feeling they wont make it out to the rural areas.
(10-29-2014, 10:30 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: how much did you spend?

Doesn't know, but whatever he spent it was worth it.  Enjoyed listening to the people and all of their problems.  Glad he didn't win because he couldn't have worked with the elected council - it would have been life in hell, would have been impossible to work with them. 

Sorry for wailing on the dead horse, but WHAT?! This is the guy whose primary argument was that Seiling wasted taxpayer money, and the guy does not even have a handle on his own finances? Alternatively, he does have a handle on his finances but his obscuring them (thus violating his "transparency" platform)?

Man. We really dodged a bullet. The part where he states he is glad that he was not elected because he wouldn't be able to work with the rest of council was my fear all along.
Ya I call BS there. I'm willing to bet he knows what was spent down to the penny
He still has at least 10 signs up all along Can-Amera Parkway in Cambridge. If they're still there on Monday, I'm going to contact CTV News/The Record about it.
(11-02-2014, 06:41 PM)Canard Wrote: He still has at least 10 signs up all along Can-Amera Parkway in Cambridge.  If they're still there on Monday, I'm going to contact CTV News/The Record about it.

Also, by-law?
Nah. I'd rather see the Media have some fun with him first.

https://twitter.com/570news/status/529263854774386688
A bunch of Jay Aissa signs were cleaned up along Westmount yesterday afternoon sometime, leaving only a few Dave MacDonald and various other individual ones that blew over in the wind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »