Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(02-27-2022, 06:40 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 06:20 PM)jeffster Wrote: Imagine, if you can, having enough of a name that you can toss discarded rebar haphazardly into a non-shape and get paid 6-figures for doing so.

My ideas of shitty artwork actually would cost money. But at least they'd be interesting. But I'm not a known 'artist', so my work will never be seen. Such a shame.

In spite of my quip, I actually like the piece.
I like it too

(02-28-2022, 12:04 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 06:40 PM)Acitta Wrote: In spite of my quip, I actually like the piece.
I like it too

Guess I am not artsy enough to appreciate it.

Guess that's what they meant when they say "Jeff was raised on the other side of the tracks....an east-ender..." At least I have clarity now. Thanks guys.
(02-28-2022, 08:05 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:04 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I like it too

Guess I am not artsy enough to appreciate it.

Guess that's what they meant when they say "Jeff was raised on the other side of the tracks....an east-ender..." At least I have clarity now. Thanks guys.

Next thing you'll be telling us that you don't appreciate Aporia, either ... 😲 😲 😲

Seriously, when it comes to art, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
As I look at the piece again, I have concluded that there are many spots where a critter could stuff some leaves to make a cozy nest. Perhaps the challenge of creating and indoor sculpture (with no wildlife around) or an outdoor sculpture where the wildlife and elements have to be considered too.
(02-28-2022, 10:36 PM)nms Wrote: As I look at the piece again, I have concluded that there are many spots where a critter could stuff some leaves to make a cozy nest. Perhaps the challenge of creating and indoor sculpture (with no wildlife around) or an outdoor sculpture where the wildlife and elements have to be considered too.

Nothing a good power-wash couldn't fix
I drove by and looked at it yesterday... I like even more in person...
[Image: h4ytUGy.jpg]

Crane is being removed today
Anyone in the know, know when the building will be ready for occupancy?
[Image: VrAVCG5.jpg]
That McDonald's either needs to reopen or just go already! Haha. I think if it reopened it would do amazing business now that downtown has changed a lot and there are no real crappy fast food places down there. But if not, then whoever owns it needs to sell the place because it has been this weird old building with no windows for...two decades now? If not more.
Careful - too much longer and it will get heritage designated and we'll have to keep the McDonalds facade.
(05-12-2022, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: That McDonald's either needs to reopen or just go already! Haha. I think if it reopened it would do amazing business now that downtown has changed a lot and there are no real crappy fast food places down there. But if not, then whoever owns it needs to sell the place because it has been this weird old building with no windows for...two decades now? If not more.

Nowhere near that long. My oldest is 17 and I’ve taken the younger ones there as well. That being said, I think it closed around the time the King St. subway (the underpass, not the Toronto transportation nor the sandwich chain) was built, so it could be 8 years or maybe even a bit more. So it’s high time something was done with the property.

(05-12-2022, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: But if not, then whoever owns it needs to sell the place because it has been this weird old building with no windows for...two decades now? If not more.

It's owned by McDonald's corporate. Developers have approached them about buying, but I think they're happy to sit on the land and let it appreciate.
McDonalds is also in a lawsuit with the Region over the land expropriation for the LRT, as it made their drive thru non functional. I believe they won't sell until that is settled as it is hard to prove damages if you sell the land
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »