Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(03-15-2021, 09:50 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I think it would look fantastic if they stopped after the podium

The render looks quite interesting - but these are the same people as DTK? Be careful what you wish for!

Same developer as DTK, but I don't know if this is by the same architecture firm who designed that (SRM Architects).

Also indeed, I made a typo about the completion year. Fixed it to say 2026.
Interesting...I’m not sure what to make of it yet. I would vote for concealing parking (underground, as much as water table will allow) and placing more office in the podium.

Then for the tower, a tiered system with a ‘residential podium’ of maybe 5 - 10 floors, some with terraces, would have more wow factor.

I’m sure this won’t be final rendition. Wonder what the cost of units will be and what blend of studio, 1bdrm, 2 and dare I say, 3, will be.
It’s reminds me of Massey tower in Toronto
(03-16-2021, 01:11 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: It’s reminds me of Massey tower in Toronto
Me as well. Nothing groundbreaking but with good balcony glass and also if we actually get rounded glass here plus maybe a crown. This would look quite good for the region.
Wow! Thanks for sharing Ac3r. Easily the best tower in the region if this gets built as shown. Clean design from podium to penthouse. No protruding uselessly small balconies. Does not change floor plates or window/ curtain wall locations randomly for the last 5 floors. Mechanical penthouse has a design element to it, possibly even a lighting feature. Looks like it will have ground floor retail and office space available in the podium. This is big city quality design the likes in my opinion Kitchener has not seen yet.
(03-15-2021, 08:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Here are some renderings of 30 Francis. Expected completion is Q4 2026 and it will have 515 units.

Looks to be 44 floors? That's fairly tall. But it will be a great fit in DTK. Literally a few steps from the LRT (Victoria Park & City Hall or you could chose Central Station). Sweet.

Wow. Outstanding
(03-18-2021, 03:15 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 08:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Here are some renderings of 30 Francis. Expected completion is Q4 2026 and it will have 515 units.

Looks to be 44 floors? That's fairly tall. But it will be a great fit in DTK. Literally a few steps from the LRT (Victoria Park & City Hall or you could chose Central Station). Sweet.

I wonder if this was one of the projects rumored in the Station Park thread
(03-18-2021, 01:47 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 03:15 AM)jeffster Wrote: Looks to be 44 floors? That's fairly tall. But it will be a great fit in DTK. Literally a few steps from the LRT (Victoria Park & City Hall or you could chose Central Station). Sweet.

I wonder if this was one of the projects rumored in the Station Park thread

Yup. I hinted at parking lots in this area eventually getting redeveloped and this is indeed one of the projects and it definitely won't be the last.
There's a big parking lot kitty corner from here owned by manulife. Maybe they're waiting to buy up those houses in the block so they can make a bigger project?
I like the design. It looks big city indeed.

Looks like another attempt to use the parking garage lights to create a pattern in some perforated metal, in the podium. Wonder if it will turn out like the renderings... lol.
(03-18-2021, 03:39 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: There's a big parking lot kitty corner from here owned by manulife. Maybe they're waiting to buy up those houses in the block so they can make a bigger project?

I think Manulife has stuff on hold until they figure out the future of the current building. There was another tower proposed for the lot you're talking about, it got as far as building permits issued and everything, but Manulife pulled the plug.

Manulife is trying to lease out the current building, but of course no one is signing office leases right now. Faire and Google were going to split the building, but Covid WFH hit before the deals were finalized I believe.

(03-18-2021, 04:24 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 03:39 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: There's a big parking lot kitty corner from here owned by manulife. Maybe they're waiting to buy up those houses in the block so they can make a bigger project?

I think Manulife has stuff on hold until they figure out the future of the current building. There was another tower proposed for the lot you're talking about, it got as far as building permits issued and everything, but Manulife pulled the plug.

Manulife is trying to lease out the current building, but of course no one is signing office leases right now. Faire and Google were going to split the building, but Covid WFH hit before the deals were finalized I believe.
This is correct. Manulife is also incredibly crammed at their king st office. I think theres a possibility they may take part of this building back for themselves but we shall see. 

Something will come of that parking lot eventually though.
(03-18-2021, 03:32 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 01:47 PM)Spokes Wrote: I wonder if this was one of the projects rumored in the Station Park thread

Yup. I hinted at parking lots in this area eventually getting redeveloped and this is indeed one of the projects and it definitely won't be the last.

I remember when the city of kitchener released that document with all of the city owned lots that were primed for development.  I was quite excited.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »