Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Park
(05-15-2016, 05:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: It' tricky to cook well, it's a very fatty meat on top of its gaminess.

But if you can render off the grease, it does do wonders for frying potatoes.

Or waterproofing your winter boots.  Seriously!

Survivor garden in Kitchener’s Victoria Park will feature spiralling labyrinth, public art

Quote:A spiralling labyrinth and a sculpture of a gnarled tree will be at the centre of a new survivor garden being built this year in Victoria Park.

At the heart of the garden will be a spiralling labyrinth with a piece of public art at its centre. The art will be mounted on a piece of granite. The sponsors hope to commission a local artist for the piece, which they'd like to be based on the idea of a rugged old tree that survives in a tough environment, such as a cliff face.

The area is meant for quiet contemplation. The spiral, a design that often seen in natural forms like shells, ferns and whirlpools, "represents the journey to our centre and back out again into the world," according to a design statement.

Other features include trellises, harvest tables, bird houses, a free library, Adirondack chairs and benches.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/987...ublic-art/
Previous discussion was in a different thread, but this is probably a better place to post an update:

[Image: I7sHEOI.jpg][Image: IkS6N5k.jpg]
Yay! Finally!
A good-looking bridge, too!
Seems someone finally had a brainwave and ordered a wide enough bridge.
(08-29-2021, 09:35 AM)clasher Wrote: Seems someone finally had a brainwave and ordered a wide enough bridge.

I dunno...it isn't that wide, given that someone decided that the park should also be a main cycling route, 4m would have been a better choice than 2m.

(08-29-2021, 10:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 09:35 AM)clasher Wrote: Seems someone finally had a brainwave and ordered a wide enough bridge.

I dunno...it isn't that wide, given that someone decided that the park should also be a main cycling route, 4m would have been a better choice than 2m.

Twice as wide as the last two bridges they put up but yeah wider would be better... I doubt it comes anywhere close to doubling the cost of the project to double the width.
Not as steep as the old one as well.
(08-29-2021, 10:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Looking at it today, it sure doesn't look like a 2m width. The "last" bridge (closest to Victoria St) is either 1.8m or 2m wide, and the new bridge looks like it's half again as wide. Can't actually access it to measure it, though. Big Grin
(03-02-2020, 04:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: Survivor garden in Kitchener’s Victoria Park will feature spiralling labyrinth, public art

Quote:A spiralling labyrinth and a sculpture of a gnarled tree will be at the centre of a new survivor garden being built this year in Victoria Park.

At the heart of the garden will be a spiralling labyrinth with a piece of public art at its centre. The art will be mounted on a piece of granite. The sponsors hope to commission a local artist for the piece, which they'd like to be based on the idea of a rugged old tree that survives in a tough environment, such as a cliff face.

The area is meant for quiet contemplation. The spiral, a design that often seen in natural forms like shells, ferns and whirlpools, "represents the journey to our centre and back out again into the world," according to a design statement.

Other features include trellises, harvest tables, bird houses, a free library, Adirondack chairs and benches.

Is this still in the plans?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/987...ublic-art/
(08-29-2021, 10:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I dunno...it isn't that wide, given that someone decided that the park should also be a main cycling route, 4m would have been a better choice than 2m.

Looking at it today, it sure doesn't look like a 2m width. The "last" bridge (closest to Victoria St) is either 1.8m or 2m wide, and the new bridge looks like it's half again as wide. Can't actually access it to measure it, though.  Big Grin

Maybe it's wider, I'm guessing based on the images. It didn't look 3m but hard to tell for sure. FWIW 4m is the "correct" width for a 3 meter trail because with vertical walls there should be a 0.5m buffer.
(08-29-2021, 11:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Looking at it today, it sure doesn't look like a 2m width. The "last" bridge (closest to Victoria St) is either 1.8m or 2m wide, and the new bridge looks like it's half again as wide. Can't actually access it to measure it, though.  Big Grin

Maybe it's wider, I'm guessing based on the images. It didn't look 3m but hard to tell for sure. FWIW 4m is the "correct" width for a 3 meter trail because with vertical walls there should be a 0.5m buffer.

We'll find out soon enough. But maybe it's sized for a 2m trail with the buffers, then.

Annoyingly, almost 2 months after my photo the bridge and path are still not open... As far as I can tell it's just been waiting for the path to be repaved for weeks.

Why does this have to take so long? Been having to walk through mud every time it rains for months now.
(10-17-2021, 07:11 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Annoyingly, almost 2 months after my photo the bridge and path are still not open... As far as I can tell it's just been waiting for the path to be repaved for weeks.

Why does this have to take so long? Been having to walk through mud every time it rains for months now.

Yeah, this is starting to be unreasonable...it's been this way the whole summer.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »