Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
81-85 Bridgeport Road East | 16-27 fl | Proposed
These look ok. Kind of getting tired of the black and white though. That doesn't look as great once actually built.

Give it 50-60 years and it'll leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth like brutalism did and it'll all get recladded and/or painted.

Note: brutalism is actually great. :'P
Could be better could be worse. Good to have something dense in this location though
(01-31-2023, 07:42 AM)Spokes Wrote: Could be better could be worse. Good to have something dense in this location though

Is it though? I've learned that living on a car sewer street is really unpleasant, and Bridgeport sure qualifies...
(02-01-2023, 12:40 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 07:42 AM)Spokes Wrote: Could be better could be worse. Good to have something dense in this location though

Is it though? I've learned that living on a car sewer street is really unpleasant, and Bridgeport sure qualifies...

I think being in an apartment well above such a street is very different from being right down at ground level in a townhouse. But we’ll find out when they start selling units.
(02-01-2023, 02:08 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 12:40 PM)plam Wrote: Is it though? I've learned that living on a car sewer street is really unpleasant, and Bridgeport sure qualifies...

I think being in an apartment well above such a street is very different from being right down at ground level in a townhouse. But we’ll find out when they start selling units.

It would feel that way but it turns out that sound travels vertically pretty well and so they likely would have to keep their windows closed.
(02-02-2023, 11:35 AM)plam Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 02:08 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think being in an apartment well above such a street is very different from being right down at ground level in a townhouse. But we’ll find out when they start selling units.

It would feel that way but it turns out that sound travels vertically pretty well and so they likely would have to keep their windows closed.

Right, but what I’m saying is that there are lots of people who will just leave their windows close and rely on the air conditioning in the summer. Ultimately, we’ll see when units start selling — if they’ve made something unattractive they will sell slowly and/or for less than the developer hoped.

(02-02-2023, 12:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 11:35 AM)plam Wrote: It would feel that way but it turns out that sound travels vertically pretty well and so they likely would have to keep their windows closed.

Right, but what I’m saying is that there are lots of people who will just leave their windows close and rely on the air conditioning in the summer. Ultimately, we’ll see when units start selling — if they’ve made something unattractive they will sell slowly and/or for less than the developer hoped.

Well, I hope they have good air exchange systems. I'm a big fan of lowering CO2 inside these days.
(02-02-2023, 02:32 PM)plam Wrote: Well, I hope they have good air exchange systems. I'm a big fan of lowering CO2 inside these days.

Plants! Unless, of course, you happen to have a cat that loves to eat plants ...
(02-02-2023, 02:32 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 12:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Right, but what I’m saying is that there are lots of people who will just leave their windows close and rely on the air conditioning in the summer. Ultimately, we’ll see when units start selling — if they’ve made something unattractive they will sell slowly and/or for less than the developer hoped.

Well, I hope they have good air exchange systems. I'm a big fan of lowering CO2 inside these days.

ERVs are required by code these days. My experience living in a new place with an ERV is excellent, I've never had such good indoor air quality.
(02-02-2023, 02:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 02:32 PM)plam Wrote: Well, I hope they have good air exchange systems. I'm a big fan of lowering CO2 inside these days.

Plants! Unless, of course, you happen to have a cat that loves to eat plants ...

My snake plant is not doing well and the fiddle-leaf fig just died. Being away a lot really doesn't help. Tenants don't have a good success ratio at keeping plants alive.

(02-02-2023, 02:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

ERVs are required by code these days. My experience living in a new place with an ERV is excellent, I've never had such good indoor air quality.

Yes, I've thought about retrofitting my place with an ERV, but I don't know about my mid-range plans. What humidity level are you getting inside?
(02-02-2023, 04:04 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 02:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote: ERVs are required by code these days. My experience living in a new place with an ERV is excellent, I've never had such good indoor air quality.

Yes, I've thought about retrofitting my place with an ERV, but I don't know about my mid-range plans. What humidity level are you getting inside?

I do find the humidity exchange is not as effective as I was hoping. I've had to get a fairly powerful humidifier and run it nearly constantly to keep my ~1100 sq ft condo at 45% humidity this winter. Some of that is a layout/usage problem. The ERV intake is in one of my bathrooms, while the other bathroom just has a typical extractor fan. Unfortunately the bathroom I shower in every day is not the bathroom with the ERV intake, so that would probably normally add a fair bit of humidity to the air.

But the difference I have noticed is that smells never linger in the space. Cooking things that would have in any previous place left a smell for days will have their smell gone in hours. I also have a good indoor air quality sensor, and it consistently reports perfect air quality (and rapid recovery after cooking).
(02-02-2023, 04:04 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 02:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Plants! Unless, of course, you happen to have a cat that loves to eat plants ...

My snake plant is not doing well and the fiddle-leaf fig just died. Being away a lot really doesn't help. Tenants don't have a good success ratio at keeping plants alive.

How did you manage to kill a snake plant?? They barely need light or water. I rescued one from a former landlord and he only watered it a couple times per year. I probably only water it once a month and it's 30+ years old and glorious!

(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 04:04 PM)plam Wrote: Yes, I've thought about retrofitting my place with an ERV, but I don't know about my mid-range plans. What humidity level are you getting inside?

I do find the humidity exchange is not as effective as I was hoping. I've had to get a fairly powerful humidifier and run it nearly constantly to keep my ~1100 sq ft condo at 45% humidity this winter. Some of that is a layout/usage problem. The ERV intake is in one of my bathrooms, while the other bathroom just has a typical extractor fan. Unfortunately the bathroom I shower in every day is not the bathroom with the ERV intake, so that would probably normally add a fair bit of humidity to the air.

But the difference I have noticed is that smells never linger in the space. Cooking things that would have in any previous place left a smell for days will have their smell gone in hours. I also have a good indoor air quality sensor, and it consistently reports perfect air quality (and rapid recovery after cooking).

So the other problem with humidifiers is the hard water and how it gums up humidifiers. What do people do about that?

Sounds good about air exchange! My CO2 is usually pretty reasonable, but there's currently only 1 of me in a 1500sqft place.

(02-03-2023, 09:18 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 04:04 PM)plam Wrote: My snake plant is not doing well and the fiddle-leaf fig just died. Being away a lot really doesn't help. Tenants don't have a good success ratio at keeping plants alive.

How did you manage to kill a snake plant?? They barely need light or water. I rescued one from a former landlord and he only watered it a couple times per year. I probably only water it once a month and it's 30+ years old and glorious!

Not being here? Tenants? The fiddle-leaf fig was a "too much sun" problem. Maybe I can reinvigorate the snake plant, or at least the bit of it that's left. Maybe I also did something wrong transplanting it.
(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 04:04 PM)plam Wrote: Yes, I've thought about retrofitting my place with an ERV, but I don't know about my mid-range plans. What humidity level are you getting inside?

I do find the humidity exchange is not as effective as I was hoping. I've had to get a fairly powerful humidifier and run it nearly constantly to keep my ~1100 sq ft condo at 45% humidity this winter.

45%? Even now, at -15 to -20 outside? At 40% or so we're getting major condensation on the windows.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »