Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
(06-15-2020, 01:43 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but looks like B@TheMuseum is closed permanently.
oh no.......  Love them...

It's being communicated through THEMUSEUM social media, not B's.

https://themuseum.ca/b-themuseum-permanently-closed/
Tough break for themuseum as well.
(06-15-2020, 04:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Tough break for themuseum as well.

I think themuseum will be OK. They had another bar there before B (what was the name of that one?) and can probably find someone else. But it sounds like they are reconsidering whether they want to do something different with the space.
(06-15-2020, 07:45 PM)Ttomh009 Wrote:

I think themuseum will be OK. They had another bar there before B (what was the name of that one?) and can probably find someone else. But it sounds like they are reconsidering whether they want to do something different with the space.
Interesting - I would have assumed they needed the income from renting the space.
The space is not that big so I don't expect the impact on their finances is huge. Of course, I don't know how close to the edge their financials are ...
(06-15-2020, 07:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

It was Imbibe. I was trying to remember earlier because I was surprised that it's been 5 years since B has been there. I thought there had been 2 places leave that space in like 3 years.

Symposium Uptown Waterloo is also closed. There was a picture of the eviction notice on reddit and this message on Symposium's website. https://symposiumcafe.com/locations/wate...estaurants
(06-15-2020, 09:46 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Symposium Uptown Waterloo is also closed. There was a picture of the eviction notice on reddit and this message on Symposium's website. https://symposiumcafe.com/locations/wate...estaurants

COVID-19-related or not?

Their post says the owner had "other plans" but normally eviction notices are only posted for non-payment of rent, or some other egregious violations.
(06-15-2020, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 09:46 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Symposium Uptown Waterloo is also closed. There was a picture of the eviction notice on reddit and this message on Symposium's website. https://symposiumcafe.com/locations/wate...estaurants

COVID-19-related or not?

Their post says the owner had "other plans" but normally eviction notices are only posted for non-payment of rent, or some other egregious violations.

Actually, it might not be completely COVID related. I just looked at the picture of the notice again, and it's dated March 28th. It does mention rental arrears, but end of March would probably be too early to not be able to pay rent due to covid closure.
(06-15-2020, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

COVID-19-related or not?

For some reason, I recall hearing about this BEFORE covid-19. And yeah, they were being kicked out.
(06-15-2020, 10:47 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: COVID-19-related or not?

For some reason, I recall hearing about this BEFORE covid-19. And yeah, they were being kicked out.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Masala Bay, in the basement of the Waterloo Hotel (?) isn't similarly moved out. (I haven't heard anything so I wouldn't want to start any rumours).

I'm not familiar with where the Waterloo Hotel building ends and the former Waterloo Music building begins as they are connected to each other.
I'm assuming it's covid related, but Special Delivery coffee on King E appears to not be reopening. Just walked by and the place looks like it's being emptied. They were only open a few months before covid hit, didn't really have a chance to get established.

(07-10-2020, 05:14 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I'm assuming it's covid related, but Special Delivery coffee on King E appears to not be reopening. Just walked by and the place looks like it's being emptied. They were only open a few months before covid hit, didn't really have a chance to get established.

It wouldn’t have been a good time for anyone to open just before the pandemic. I imagine all the money that went into it, so that really sucks.
Indeed, sucks for them, but I imagine it will be pretty easy for someone else to open a coffee place at that location. Although I remember saying to the baker next door, years ago, that I thought it would be a great spot for a quality cheese shop ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »