Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
I'm thinking that the "Huck" name was also removed from the facade of the old factory.

(09-14-2020, 08:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm thinking that the "Huck" name was also removed from the facade of the old factory.
Yes, it was "blackened" out. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but if you look closely you can still see the lettering behind the black. I'm not sure if there is any legal aspect to it, but I hope they restore the Huck name on the old building.
(09-14-2020, 09:15 AM)kwlifer Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 08:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm thinking that the "Huck" name was also removed from the facade of the old factory.
Yes, it was "blackened" out. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but if you look closely you can still see the lettering behind the black. I'm not sure if there is any legal aspect to it, but I hope they restore the Huck name on the old building.

I can't imagine that the Huck family would feel anything but honoured if the name were restored.  Lang Tannery got it right, istm.
This is on the wall of NEO architects, across the street from New City Supermarket.

This is part of that KWAG murals project?
In Halls Lane near Gaukel.

Attached Files Image(s)

That one has been there since near the beginning of the year, right before AOK opened (and was presumably done by them since that's where their door is).

There is a painting up on 44 Gaukel now, which seems to be printed in the same manner as the one Tom posted. I think 44 Gaukel was listed as part of the KWAG project so I assume both are.

There is also a large painting going in on the road on Queen St between King and Charles. (Edit: Seems there is quite a bit more street art than just this, as others posted in the General Kitchener updates)

A few more art pieces spotted in DTK!

Love the first one !
On the back of the podium at Charlie West, as seen from King St:

You know, I'm not saying I will ever like the existance of gigantic parking garage facades, but street art, good/interesting architecture...all these things make a world of difference to our city, and yet, economically/capitalistically generate zero direct revenue...
Direct revenue to the responsible artists. But what is the rationale for even considering whether they generate direct revenue (i.e. what does it matter?)?
(11-10-2020, 09:49 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Direct revenue to the responsible artists.  But what is the rationale for even considering whether they generate direct revenue (i.e. what does it matter?)?

No, that wasn't my point, yes, it costs money to make the art, you also have to pay for materials.

The point is, I spent 100k on a facade to make it look nice.  Everyones' lives around me are improved, but that improvement does not appear on any balance sheet anywhere.

Fundamentally that was my point though, a pure market capitalist system is fundamentally broken, because it only accounts for value which is generated on balance sheets, and not on things which improve our lives.

That is to say, if I had rational shareholders, they would never allow me to spend money on a mural like that because it would not improve the bottom line, yet it is still the right thing to do, and thankfully, our system is not pure.

(11-10-2020, 01:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 09:49 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Direct revenue to the responsible artists.  But what is the rationale for even considering whether they generate direct revenue (i.e. what does it matter?)?

No, that wasn't my point, yes, it costs money to make the art, you also have to pay for materials.

The point is, I spent 100k on a facade to make it look nice.  Everyones' lives around me are improved, but that improvement does not appear on any balance sheet anywhere.

Fundamentally that was my point though, a pure market capitalist system is fundamentally broken, because it only accounts for value which is generated on balance sheets, and not on things which improve our lives.

That is to say, if I had rational shareholders, they would never allow me to spend money on a mural like that because it would not improve the bottom line, yet it is still the right thing to do, and thankfully, our system is not pure.

On the other hand, (in my opinion) most of the world's most attractive buildings and most famous pieces of art were built for and commissioned by the obscenely wealthy. Whether it was out of goodwill or to flaunt their wealth is another question. Though even the capitalist leaning economies of history are quite different from today's.
Shareholders must have meltdowns when they learn of corporations’ extensive art collections and donations to cultural institutions.

Although capitalist societies are notorious for their inability to produce fine art...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »