Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete
(09-10-2020, 11:09 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 12:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Based on what? If it’s worth more as a residence than as commercial, what is the basis for forcing it to be commercial? I’m not sure people who make suggestions around the use of real estate consider just how little freedom they are implicitly saying property owners should have. Remember, all the best parts of the city were built pre-zoning.

Based on that the project was approved with ground floor retail in it?

Generally the mixed zoning does not require any particular mix, and all-residential is also OK.

The only question is whether they got concessions from the city based on the presence of retail. But, in this case, I think they have been building within the zoning regulations, and there were no additional changes sought from council.

https://the-scott.rentcafewebsite.com/

This building now has a website.
Browsed the site real quickly -- it has a dog wash station. Further to the left, it says to ask about their pet policy. I think it was answered with the installation of dog washing facilities, no?

Doesn't look like this particular apartment will be "affordable". Not sure if I was reading about dishwasher here or reddit or something, but units include dishwashers. Really seems like it's going to be a great place to live -- if you don't need a lot of room. The units seem rather small....
Exclusively small units (or at least what I consider too small for my circumstances), it would be nice if there was a mix so the building (and downtown in general) isn't just one "type" of people.

I'm pretty amazed they've crammed a 2 bed 2 bath into 560sqft.
What a terrible web site implementation. I can't even get it to display the 2BR floor plans, and I tried with three different browsers.

The 1BR units look to be on either side of 500 sqft. What's the size range for the 2BR units?
(10-08-2020, 08:18 PM)jeffster Wrote: Browsed the site real quickly -- it has a dog wash station. Further to the left, it says to ask about their pet policy. I think it was answered with the installation of dog washing facilities, no?

Doesn't look like this particular apartment will be "affordable". Not sure if I was reading about dishwasher here or reddit or something, but units include dishwashers. Really seems like it's going to be a great place to live -- if you don't need a lot of room. The units seem rather small....

It is a market rate building, not affordable housing.
(10-09-2020, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 08:18 PM)jeffster Wrote: Doesn't look like this particular apartment will be "affordable". Not sure if I was reading about dishwasher here or reddit or something, but units include dishwashers. Really seems like it's going to be a great place to live -- if you don't need a lot of room. The units seem rather small....

It is a market rate building, not affordable housing.

Yes. Rents should still be reasonable (of not particularly affordable), what you will get is "nice" instead of "big". Whether that's good or not depends on individual preference.

(10-09-2020, 10:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote: What a terrible web site implementation. I can't even get it to display the 2BR floor plans, and I tried with three different browsers.

The 1BR units look to be on either side of 500 sqft. What's the size range for the 2BR units?

The website works fine for me. The 2BR floor plans are 560, 680, and 690:

[Image: srgeVsu.jpg][Image: 1vnqQaI.jpg][Image: zhmOWXE.jpg]
The map page says rent $0 to $1980. Obviously no $0 rent, but if the upper end is actually $1980 that's not terrible for a high end 2 bedroom these days. It's a few hundred a month cheaper than the Barrel Yards buildings. Barrel Yards is slightly larger units, but also older.
That first 2 bedroom plan makes no sense, why have a second bathroom if it's right beside the first and accessed off the same hallway? Its door being right across from the dining area is also a turn-off. An ensuite is what I would be expecting as a potential buyer.
(10-08-2020, 08:18 PM)jeffster Wrote: Browsed the site real quickly -- it has a dog wash station. Further to the left, it says to ask about their pet policy. I think it was answered with the installation of dog washing facilities, no?

Doesn't look like this particular apartment will be "affordable". Not sure if I was reading about dishwasher here or reddit or something, but units include dishwashers. Really seems like it's going to be a great place to live -- if you don't need a lot of room. The units seem rather small....e

(10-10-2020, 09:03 AM)KevinT Wrote: That first 2 bedroom plan makes no sense, why have a second bathroom if it's right beside the first and accessed off the same hallway? Its door being right across from the dining area is also a turn-off. An ensuite is what I would be expecting as a potential buyer.

I found it strange that any of these tiny units would have more than one bathroom.
(10-10-2020, 09:03 AM)KevinT Wrote: That first 2 bedroom plan makes no sense, why have a second bathroom if it's right beside the first and accessed off the same hallway? Its door being right across from the dining area is also a turn-off. An ensuite is what I would be expecting as a potential buyer.

That is weird. Also, the den is marked as a bedroom on the plans, which is even stranger! Tongue

What I noticed for floor plan 2A was no windows in the one bedroom. That is odd. I mean, fantastic if you're a night worker and would like absolute darkness. But other than that, I have never seen a bedroom without a window. It does look like it has some sort of fake window viewing into the dining room. Yeah, something I always wanted.

(10-10-2020, 11:24 PM)jeffster Wrote:

What I noticed for floor plan 2A was no windows in the one bedroom. That is odd. I mean, fantastic if you're a night worker and would like absolute darkness. But other than that, I have never seen a bedroom without a window. It does look like it has some sort of fake window viewing into the dining room. Yeah, something I always wanted.

I thought it had to have a window to be a bedroom, otherwise it would be a den...
(10-11-2020, 03:03 AM)plam Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 11:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: What I noticed for floor plan 2A was no windows in the one bedroom. That is odd. I mean, fantastic if you're a night worker and would like absolute darkness. But other than that, I have never seen a bedroom without a window. It does look like it has some sort of fake window viewing into the dining room. Yeah, something I always wanted.

I thought it had to have a window to be a bedroom, otherwise it would be a den...

That is what I always thought. It does seem to have a window, but viewing is into dining room. I guess they’d argue if one access is blocked (the door) then the window into the dining room can be used. It’s really odd and I have never seen anything like this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »