Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
From listening to the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce videos, I have confirmed that no candidate for Cambridge Regional Council likes LRT. So that is two seats likely to cancel if the opportunity comes up. If Doug Craig gets re-elected (which seems likely?) that makes three.

I think it is likely that Telegdi and Wettlaufer both get regional council seats. Because of the way the block voting system works, this is not guaranteed, but these two have name recognition and lots of support in the community. So that is five votes against that are fairly likely, and several of them are good candidates.

I feel there is a good chance Aissa wins his race. If Macdonald also wins his race (which seems less likely to me, but who knows?) then we are up to seven votes against.

If things really go south then we get one of Oberholtzer or (maybe? I can't tell his position for certain) Korschewitz for the other Waterloo regional council seat. I think this is unlikely, but let's play along. If that was to happen then we would have eight votes against.

The question mark for me is the townships. Certainly I do not like the idea of the townships holding the balance of power in this debate. Even with six or seven votes against the situation looks bad.

I agree with Waterlooer that some of the candidates above might change their tunes once they see the numbers and costs of cancellation, so the situation might not be totally grim even if we get my worst case scenario. But it will be dicey.

The statement that jumped out at me from the Record article is that the region is allowed to cancel the contract after giving 180 days notice. That gives a lot of ammunition to those claiming LRT is a done deal that is irreversible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by fakepnijjar - 10-11-2014, 11:22 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM