Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commuting trends: transit vs driving vs ...
(12-03-2017, 01:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 09:54 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think it is still too early for me to understand the question, but here is an attempt.

The costs (2016) are broken down this way:
Winter maintenance = $4,322 per lane km or $1.22 per m2 (assuming 3.65m lane width)
Total maintenance cost = $19,138 per lane km or $5.24 per m2 (assuming 3.65m lane width)
Total cost (including amortization, disposal, capital, maintenance) = $32,568 per lane km or $8.92 per m2 (assuming 3.65m lane width)
(...)
Each year, the total non-maintenance costs of the original road is $26,860.
Each year, the total non-maintenance costs of the narrowed road is $26,124.
A difference of $736.

Right.  But what is the incremental cost of rebuilding the street as a narrower one?  That's the up-front cost, which would eventually be paid back in maintenance savings.

I assume you mean rebuilding narrower, as opposed to rebuilding unchanged? I can’t imagine that you would ever rebuild just to lose a tiny bit of width — you would adjust the design when rebuilding anyway.

It seems obvious that rebuilding narrowed should in most cases cost less, so there is no up-front cost, just a small immediate savings, and then small ongoing savings over the years, combined with a small safety increase. The cost is that drivers have to actually watch what their doing and drive at a more reasonable (or less unreasonable) speed.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Commuting trends: transit vs driving vs ... - by ijmorlan - 12-03-2017, 01:53 PM