Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commuting trends: transit vs driving vs ...
(11-30-2017, 05:34 PM)creative Wrote: Dan how can you comment on my situation if you do not have kids. I was just explaining my scenario and as you usually do you immediately attacked me and disagreed with me without being able to personally be able to compare apples to apples. I don't live in the suburbs which you seem to imply for some reason. I live a 3 minute drive from downtown Kitchener and 7 minutes to downtown Waterloo and have no difficulty finding parking. My point in my original post that people need to realize that everyone's personal situation is different. I did not attack those that cycle and take transit. I merely tried to explain my situation and for some reason I get attacked for doing so because you disagree with me.

First of all, I am sorry that you feel I was attacking you.  I did not "attack you"....I barely "attacked" your position.  I disagreed with your point, I wrote no personal attack, nor do I feel I was harsh in disagreeing with the position you took.

You explained your personal scenario, then claimed to apply it broadly as "many people have busy lives which prevent them from taking transit or cycling".  Frankly, I have a busy life, I'm providing a counterpoint that I get by just fine biking most of the time, I don't find it a problem making multiple stops, nor traveling with people.

And a point for you and also Canard, I bike as my primary mode, but as I said, I also use cars when needed.  If I'm making a big shopping trip or traveling out of the region to an area with poor public transit and easy driving, I'll drive a car.

I'm not demonizing driving, and I'm not demonizing those who have to drive.  I am just pointing out that I don't see biking (and to a lesser extent) transit is not a hardship or "commendable sacrifice".

I know you said that you lived downtown, my point was, if you live in the suburbs, it is substantially harder to get by without a car than in the core.  Location matters, some places are more friendly to biking or transit or walking than others.  So many people have a lack of perspective, they see their neighbourhood, and don't really imagine the ways in which it differs from others.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Commuting trends: transit vs driving vs ... - by danbrotherston - 11-30-2017, 10:38 PM