Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-19-2021, 08:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 05:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Why does it being "still a train" mean anything. It's still a large motor vehicle, sure...like I said, anyone who is more afraid of our LRVs which operate on a fixed guideway by careful conscientious operators than a much more powerful pickup operated by random and erratic people is not rationally evaluating risk. 

Also, it isn't a train, but that's just a pedantic issue, but in other ways, it isn't, it has performance characteristics at those speeds more similar to large vehicle than a train.

As for your highlighting of "be"...maybe highlight "feel" instead, that's where I agree, it should be better in that regard. I am arguing it feels unsafe, but actually is fairly safe...a rarity on our roads.

And you misunderstand the situation, on channelized turns in our region the signal button is ALSO on the post on the island, meaning one must cross the uncontrolled crosswalk to get to the island to push the button. It's exactly the same situation as here.

It's a train. It's on a rail. That's what makes it a train. At 48,200 kg -- a fully loaded (with salt) double axel snow dump truck weighs about half of that.

Back to that intersection. Don't underestimate the power of stupid or careless people, or those that are in a rush. And don't give LRT drivers absolute credit in their ability to avoid accidents absolutely. That intersection is an accident waiting to happen.  It's not a matter of if, but when.  Just how severe the injuries, I have no idea. I suppose it depends on whether or not the train operator notices it or not.

A double axle snow dump truck also has half the axles.

I have no doubt about people in a rush, or who aren't paying attention. While operators are not infallible, they know it is a conflict point and are watching. Let me put it this way, how many pedestrians do you think we will see hit by cars before one is hit by a train? I doubt it is less than a dozen and I wouldn't think 100 would be unreasonable (and I don't mean serious collisions, I mean any collision, because that's what we would count for the LRV).

So if the intersection is 10-100 times more dangerous because of cars, why are we having a conversation about trains? Or do others really feel that a train collision is more likely than that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-19-2021, 09:53 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM